Definition of jacksnipe :
1. A small American sandpiper ( Tringa maculata); - called also pectoral sandpiper, and grass snipe.
2. A small European snipe ( Limnocryptes gallinula); - called also judcock, jedcock, juddock, jed, and half snipe.
- The rail is rarely seen; but the jacksnipe is very plentiful in the late fall and up to mid- winter, when the great majority of them depart for warmer marshes. - "Memoirs of Orange Jacobs", Orange Jacobs.
- Then there were the jacksnipe. - "Out of Doors--California and Oregon", J. A. Graves.
- Besides the 118 ducks there were 50 jacksnipe and 68 fine large wild pigeons. - "Out of Doors--California and Oregon", J. A. Graves.