Definition of jarring:
- discordant (part of speech: adjective)
- shrill (part of speech: adjective)
- displeasing (part of speech: verb)
- agitating (part of speech: verb)
- "The Complete Poetical Works of Henry Wadsworth Longfellow", Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.
The newly- formed stratum of my mind was swept away; everything seemed a wreck, a chaos, a convulsion of jarring elements; but this is a trite and tame description of my feelings; words would be but commonplace to express the revulsion which I experienced: yet, amidst all, there was one paramount and presiding thought, to which the rest were as atoms in the heap,- the awakened thought of vengeance!- "Pelham, Complete", Edward Bulwer-Lytton Last Updated: March 16, 2009.
- "More About Peggy", Mrs G. de Horne Vaizey.