Definition of jaw:
- A notch or opening.
- A notched or forked part, adapted for holding an object in place; as, the jaw of a railway- car pedestal. See Axle guard.
- Fig.: Anything resembling the jaw of an animal in form or action; esp., pl., the mouth or way of entrance; as, the jaws of a pass; the jaws of darkness; the jaws of death.
- Hence, also, the bone itself with the teeth and covering.
- Impudent or abusive talk.
- In the plural, the mouth.
- One of a pair of opposing parts which are movable towards or from each other, for grasping or crushing anything between them, as, the jaws of a vise, or the jaws of a stone- crushing machine.
- One of the bones, usually bearing teeth, which form the framework of the mouth.
- The inner end of a boom or gaff, hollowed in a half circle so as to move freely on a mast.
- To assail or abuse by scolding.
- To scold; to clamor.
manducate, ride, confabulate, cod, bone structure, remonstrate, conjure up, dun, backchat, vanquish, lather, cam, epiglottis, jowl, wrench, patter, ancillary, blab, bucket, visit, bone, grouch, dress down, blabber, gibber, gab, have words, belt, talk through your hat, huckster, crow's feet, run off at the mouth, tête-à-tête, cackle, clasp, higgle, bawl out, grumble, flog, muzzle, clutch, scold, jabber, shell, prattle, chin-wag, schmooze, Adam's apple, vise, chaffer, cheek, waffle, whip, corner, rebuke, carriage, dry, masticate, shoot the breeze, put forward, furry, claver, bother, get to, call forth, run on, rattle on, button, get at, chew out, tattle, agape, call down, chitchat, vex, yack away, inspect, maunder, bait, small talk, rag, stir, travel to, reprimand, gas, lambaste, tantalise, dimple, crucify, call, talk, tittle-tattle, invoke, inflict, rile, table talk, confab, trounce, gabfest, call on the carpet, gravel, bedevil, evoke, lecture, irritate, dish the dirt, confer, chin music, impose, reproof, jaws, grip, strap, twit, clamp, haggle, piffle, chafe, nettle, see, gargle, chew, slash, nark, lambast, chatter, call in, beat, devil, mandible, twaddle, raise, claver, bearing, chat, cane, welt, gingivitis, gossip, spiel, conjure, click, censure, natter, rap, criminate, razz, froth, lash, eye socket, consult, yack, clack, underdress, go on, confabulation, chin, tantalize, annoy, prate, chide, torment, chit-chat, babble, complexion, chew up, words, yak, brow, chamber, dribble, tease, ball bearing, point out, jangle, chew the fat, camshaft, gabble, berate, take to task, frustrate, bring up, arouse, beat out, palaver, eye, crease, bring down, rally, crush, taunt, yap away, causerie.
- "The Prisoner of Zenda", Anthony Hope.
- "Bull Hunter", Max Brand.
- "The Stolen Singer", Martha Idell Fletcher Bellinger.