Definition of jovial :
1. Gay; merry; joyous; jolly; mirth- inspiring; hilarious; characterized by mirth or jollity; as, a jovial youth; a jovial company; a jovial poem.
2. Of or pertaining to the god, or the planet, Jupiter.
3. Sunny; serene.
risible, amusing, sunny, festive, funny, blithe, jocund, jaunty, blithesome, alert, gleeful, braw, festal, mirthful, cheery, boon, comic, zippy, joyous, brave, affable, brisk, gay, homophile, convivial, rattling, snappy, laughable, merry, lively, jollly, comical, good-humored, jolly, happy, spanking
- Evan was astonished at the ease with which he mixed in things; the boys seemed to have a way of fixing up that he could hardly catch, but they were a jovial bunch. - "A Canadian Bankclerk", J. P. Buschlen.
- A tradition ran in the family, that Peter's grandfather, a jovial officer in the old French War, had set aside many dozens of the precious liquor for the benefit of topers then unborn. - "From-Twice-Told-Tales", Hawthorne, Nathaniel.
- The homely levity had vanished; no one shouted jovial advice. - "Greener Than You Think", Ward Moore.