Definition of king :
1. A chief ruler; a sovereign; one invested with supreme authority over a nation, country, or tribe, usually by hereditary succession; a monarch; a prince.
2. A Chinese musical instrument, consisting of resonant stones or metal plates, arranged according to their tones in a frame of wood, and struck with a hammer.
3. A crowned man in the game of draughts.
4. A playing card having the picture of a king; as, the king of diamonds.
5. One who, or that which, holds a supreme position or rank; a chief among competitors; as, a railroad king; a money king; the king of the lobby; the king of beasts.
6. The chief piece in the game of chess.
7. The title of two historical books in the Old Testament.
8. To supply with a king; to make a king of; to raise to royalty.
martin luther king, billie jean king, exponent, Riley B King, top executive, business leader, b. b. king, world-beater, authority, majesty, Martin Luther King Jr., tycoon, major power, force, luminary, noise, patriarch, big businessman, autocrat, monarch, magnate, prince, powerfulness, tyrant, czar, star, male monarch, servant, world power, superpower, mightiness, subject, liege, underling, great power, big shot, queen regnant, index, female monarch, rajah, queen mole rat, sultan, personage, menial, mogul, power, head, tabby, office, might, ability, dictator, despot, Billie Jean Moffitt King, bigwig, emperor, potentate
director (part of speech: noun)
executive, baron, boss, administrator, captain, leader, dean, overlord, conductor, director, officer, general, manager, Lord, overseer, commandant, taskmaster, mayor, supervisor, queen, governor, superintendent, magistrate, ruler, commander, ringmaster, foreman, band master, warden, ringleader
superior (part of speech: adjective)
crowning, furthest, foremost, maximum, consummate, champion, leading, choice, chief, signal, dominant, controlling, best, most, sovereign, superior, elite, master, A-1, eminent, above, predominant, paramount, quintessential, ruling, furthermost, senior, chosen, uppermost, supreme, better, commanding, headmost, zenith, ascendant
- " Saw you talking to King," he said. - "King--of the Khyber Rifles", Talbot Mundy.
- " They all tell me that they love the King," she wrote, " but I have little proof of it. - "The Tales Of The Heptameron, Vol. I. (of V.)", Margaret, Queen Of Navarre.
- Finally the quarrel came to the ears of the king, and both governor and intendant were recalled. - "The Makers of Canada: Index and Dictionary of Canadian History", Various.