Definition of label :
1. A barrulet, or, rarely, a bendlet, with pendants, or points, usually three, especially used as a mark of cadency to distinguish an eldest or only son while his father is still living.
2. A brass rule with sights, formerly used, in connection with a circumferentor, to take altitudes.
3. A slip of ribbon, parchment, etc., attached to a document to hold the appended seal; also, the seal.
4. A slip of silk, paper, parchment, etc., affixed to anything, usually by an inscription, the contents, ownership, destination, etc.; as, the label of a bottle or a package.
5. A tassel.
6. A writing annexed by way of addition, as a codicil added to a will.
7. In mediaeval art, the representation of a band or scroll containing an inscription.
8. The name now generally given to the projecting molding by the sides, and over the tops, of openings in mediaeval architecture. It always has a quare form, as in the illustration.
9. To affix a label to; to mark with a name, etc.; as, to label a bottle or a package.
10. To affix in or on a label.
go after, evaluate, MARKS, tick, cross off, gauge, stigmatize, mark off, enunciate, give chase, articulate, recording label, pass judgment, number, copyright label, characterization, try, stigmatise, pit, adjudicate, strike out, enounce, bumper sticker, hallmark, chase, tick off, chase after, punctuate, identification, pronounce, dog, trail, track, estimate, nock, description, differentiate, sound out, say, design, price mark, approximate, check, colophon, notice, denounce, sticker, score, scar, cross out, distinguish, judge, tail, commemorate, strike off, trademark, pock, guess, check off
category (part of speech: noun)
kind, caste, line, form, genotype, strain, series, phylum, stripe, breed, variety, clan, feather, stock, degree, style, denomination, make, species, category, mold, classification, rank, genus, taxonomy, ilk, kingdom, grade, step, grain, race, family, people, set, persuasion, level
categorize (part of speech: verb)
indicate (part of speech: verb)
cue, motion, mark, note, guide, signal, gesticulate, notify, nod, point out, symbolize, flag, wave, shrug, alert, point, denote, wink, prompt, designate, brand, beckon, stamp, tag, nudge, ticket, gesture, betoken, indicate
indication (part of speech: noun)
crest, denotation, logotype, gesticulation, figuration, hint, banner, indication, insignia, pointer, token, key, emblem, notation, legend, guidepost, signpost, designation, lighthouse, marker, semaphore, sign, symbol, logo, badge, icon, beacon
name (part of speech: verb)
- " Yes, I know that- I have it on the label out of the cabinet. - "Max Carrados", Ernest Bramah.
- You perceive my state without rendering it necessary for me to label myself. - "The Adventures of Harry Richmond, Complete", George Meredith Last Updated: March 7, 2009.
- To have played in a University eleven is like accepting a peerage; you wear for the rest of your life an agreeable and honourable social label, and I do not think that a peerage is deserved, or should be accepted, at the age of twenty. - "At Large", Arthur Christopher Benson.