Definition of lag:
- A stave of a cask, drum, etc.; especially ( Mach.), one of the narrow boards or staves forming the covering of a cylindrical object, as a boiler, or the cylinder of a carding machine or a steam engine.
- Coming tardily after or behind; slow; tardy.
- Last made; hence, made of refuse; inferior.
- Last; long- delayed; - obsolete, except in the phrase lag end.
- One transported for a crime.
- One who lags; that which comes in last.
- See Graylag.
- The amount of retardation of anything, as of a valve in a steam engine, in opening or closing.
- The fag- end; the rump; hence, the lowest class.
- The failing behind or retardation of one phenomenon with respect to another to which it is closely related; as, the lag of magnetization compared with the magnetizing force ( hysteresis); the lag of the current in an alternating circuit behind the impressed electro- motive force which produced it.
- To cause to lag; to slacken.
- To cover, as the cylinder of a steam engine, with lags. See Lag, n., 4.
- To transport for crime.
- To walk or more slowly; to stay or fall behind; to linger or loiter.
shut away, terminating, stray, interim, recur, chuck out, round, saunter, ultimate, lock away, tuck in, stride, lapse, air conditioner, step, slowdown, regress, rearmost, lose, wander, meantime, trek, toss away, deceleration, fling, help, closing, discard, put to sleep, time, jail, dehumidifier, fall behind, linger, concluding, retardation, retardent, toss out, backwardness, remit, procrastinate, a/c, slowness, fall back, stave, hindmost, subnormality, mental retardation, throw out, latter, halt, recess, cooling-off period, detain, staff, fast, bomb, boiler, interlude, recede, retrogress, cast out, dispose, backfire, relapse, collapse, put behind bars, dally, fizzle, pause, walk, languish, jug, air, break, hike, miss, drag, meanwhile, hold up, cast away, amble, fail, founder, intermission, dilly-dally, stroll, retardant, rung, put away, poke, drop off, toss, slow, set back, lock in, lock up, bottommost, tarry, gaol, final, remand, send back, loiter, hang up, flop, terminal, latest, convector, throw away, immure, burner, crash, dawdle, shut up, cast aside, tuck away, slowing, resort, air conditioning, imprison, interruption, retard, air-conditioned, central heating, stall, put aside, lock, delay, recidivate, incarcerate.
- "Lover or Friend", Rosa Nouchette Carey.
- "Fragments of an Autobiography", Felix Moscheles.
He wrote about four hundred manuscript pages of the tale that summer; then, as the inspiration seemed to lag a little, put it aside, as was his habit, to wait until the ambition for it should be renewed.- "Mark Twain, A Biography, 1835-1910, Complete The Personal And Literary Life Of Samuel Langhorne Clemens", Albert Bigelow Paine Last Updated: February 20, 2009.