Definition of lamentable :
1. Fitted to awaken lament; to be lamented; sorrowful; pitiable; as, a lamentable misfortune, or error.
2. Miserable; pitiful; paltry; - in a contemptuous or ridiculous sense.
3. Mourning; sorrowful; expressing grief; as, a lamentable countenance.
good-for-naught, dark, grim, dolorous, misfortunate, contemptible, troubling, woeful, dingy, base, deplorable, regrettable, rueful, moving, touching, abject, poor, distressful, gloomy, no-good, paltry, no-count, unfavorable, criminal, reprehensible, drab, no-account, vicious, dreary, meritless, mournful, worrisome, perturbing, hapless, execrable, doleful, disconsolate, regretful, woful, grievous, drear, condemnable, bad, happy, blue, wretched, sad, sorry, despicable, disturbing, distressing, worrying, good-for-nothing, sorrowful, dismal
pitiful (part of speech: adjective)
- This seems to be the lamentable condition of man. - "Twenty-Four Short Sermons On The Doctrine Of Universal Salvation", John Bovee Dods.
- For it is a lamentable fact that all men and all women are painfully like each other; it is only their faces that differ. - "The Vultures", Henry Seton Merriman.
- I will keep you waiting no longer, sir, and would have come before, but I did not wish you to see Mr. Morton while he was in a very lamentable condition. - "A Day Of Fate", E. P. Roe.