Definition of landmark:
- A mark to designate the boundary of land; any , mark or fixed object ( as a marked tree, a stone, a ditch, or a heap of stones) by which the limits of a farm, a town, or other portion of territory may be known and preserved.
- Any conspicuous object on land that serves as a guide; some prominent object, as a hill or steeple.
limit, position, boundary, term, basin, catchment area, corner, termination, vantage point, crisis, marge, memorial, water parting, relic, monument, drainage basin, confines, marches, border, guide, hill, mark, stone, catchment basin, survival, edge, bourn, barrier, tree, ruins, margin, watershed, mountain, marker, stage, remnant, street corner, bourne, turning point, blaze, benchmark, enclosure, divide, bound, drainage area, bend, promontory, frontier, line, river basin, verge.
- circumstance (part of speech: noun)
- circumstantial (part of speech: adjective)
St. James's Church, Wren's handiwork, is all that remains from the age of Anne, with " the steeple," says Strype, fondly, " lately finished with a fine spire, which adds much splendor to this end of the town, and also serves as a landmark."- "A History of the Four Georges, Volume I (of 4)", Justin McCarthy.
- "Our Journey to the Hebrides", Joseph Pennell and Elizabeth Robins Pennell.
- "The Village Watch-Tower", (AKA Kate Douglas Riggs) Kate Douglas Wiggin.