Definition of language:
- A race, as distinguished by its speech.
- Any means of conveying or communicating ideas; specifically, human speech; the expression of ideas by the voice; sounds, expressive of thought, articulated by the organs of the throat and mouth.
- The characteristic mode of arranging words, peculiar to an individual speaker or writer; manner of expression; style.
- The expression of ideas by writing, or any other instrumentality.
- The forms of speech, or the methods of expressing ideas, peculiar to a particular nation.
- The inarticulate sounds by which animals inferior to man express their feelings or their wants.
- The suggestion, by objects, actions, or conditions, of ideas associated therewith; as, the language of flowers.
- The vocabulary and phraseology belonging to an art or department of knowledge; as, medical language; the language of chemistry or theology.
- To communicate by language; to express in language.
lecture, lexis, shoptalk, first language, linguistic communication, talking to, idiom, style, anthropology, binary system, voice communication, nomenclature, vernacular, vocalization, criticism, the lexicon, dustup, wrangle, creole, jive, interchange, lyric poem, articulation, agree, structural linguistics, cant, voice, speech, spoken language, interlanguage, code, delivery, conversation, speech communication, oral communication, BASIC, gibberish, linguistic process, communications, literature, vocab, lyric, HTML, utterance, manner of speaking, command line, ASCII, interlingual, terminology, gesture, polyglot, run-in, pantomime, diction, actor's line, printing, home language, acrolect, words, vocabulary, lexicon, get along, show, poetry, communicate, row, sign, verbiage, etymology, spoken communication, prose, transformational grammar, heritage language, writing, address, song, basilect, phonics, linguistics, word, phonemics, shop, signal, patter, Java, communication, phonetics, quarrel, langue, turn of phrase, expression, diglossia, mother tongue, assembly language, phonology, semantics, COBOL, networking, inscription, channel.
- grammar (part of speech: noun)
- language (part of speech: noun)