Definition of lapse:
- A fall or apostasy.
- A gliding, slipping, or gradual falling; an unobserved or imperceptible progress or passing away,; - restricted usually to immaterial things, or to figurative uses.
- A slip; an error; a fault; a failing in duty; a slight deviation from truth or rectitude.
- The termination of a right or privilege through neglect to exercise it within the limited time, or through failure of some contingency; hence, the devolution of a right or privilege.
- To become ineffectual or void; to fall.
- To fall or pass from one proprietor to another, or from the original destination, by the omission, negligence, or failure of some one, as a patron, a legatee, etc.
- To let slip; to permit to devolve on another; to allow to pass.
- To pass slowly and smoothly downward, backward, or away; to slip downward, backward, or away; to glide; - mostly restricted to figurative uses.
- To slide or slip in moral conduct; to fail in duty; to fall from virtue; to deviate from rectitude; to commit a fault by inadvertence or mistake.
- To surprise in a fault or error; hence, to surprise or catch, as an offender.
make pass, atavism, excrete, come about, slacken, extend, backslide, let up, make it, devolve, drop down, reach, go across, repetition, occur, pass, drop dead, reversal, overstep, proceed, go by, give-up the ghost, decease, go, drop, spend, throwback, egest, lag, superintendence, slide by, bate, expire, go along, happen, buy the farm, pass away, authorise, top, clear, overhaul, fall off, reverse, law, run out, dawdle, guide, kick the bucket, glide, pass by, glissade, resort, slide down, overtake, retrograde, backsliding, slack off, transcend, hap, fall, put across, go under, oversight, surpass, drop off, moderate, elapse, turnaround, pass on, keep, ease, turn back, communicate, play along, sink, perish, settle, supervising, slither, fleet, subside, return, slip by, remit, increase, abate, go through, reverting, exceed, lapsing, pass along, steal away, fall out, continue, turn over, glide by, pass off, regress, blow over, relapsing, snuff it, give, cash in one's chips, take place, conk, recidivate, mistake, relapse, move, eliminate, go down, sneak off, pop off, die, retrogression, sneak away, sneak out, error, turnabout, travel by, failure, retroversion, evanesce, retrovert, fall back, go past, draw, run, fall behind, dip, bury, legislate, go on, croak, slip away, choke, authorize, lose, reversion, supervision, retrogress, better, lead, hand, exit.
- deteriorate (part of speech: verb)
- indefinite duration (part of speech: noun)
- relapse (part of speech: verb)
inattention (part of speech: noun)
- lack of interest,
- "In Wild Rose Time", Amanda M. Douglas.
- "Ruggles of Red Gap", Harry Leon Wilson.
On the next morning a messenger was sent over to Croker's Hall, and came back after due lapse of time with an answer to the effect that Mr Whittlestaff and Miss Lawrie would have pleasure in dining that day at Little Alresford Park.- "An Old Man's Love", Anthony Trollope.