Definition of lash:
- A hair growing from the edge of the eyelid; an eyelash.
- A leash in which an animal is caught or held; hence, a snare.
- A stroke of satire or sarcasm; an expression or retort that cuts or gives pain; a cut.
- A stroke with a whip, or anything pliant and tough; as, the culprit received thirty- nine lashes.
- In carpet weaving, a group of strings for lifting simultaneously certain yarns, to form the figure.
- The thong or braided cord of a whip, with which the blow is given.
- To bind with a rope, cord, thong, or chain, so as to fasten; as, to lash something to a spar; to lash a pack on a horse's back.
- To ply the whip; to strike; to utter censure or sarcastic language.
- To scold; to berate; to satirize; to censure with severity; as, to lash vice.
- To strike forcibly and quickly, as with a lash; to beat, or beat upon, with a motion like that of a lash; as, a whale lashes the sea with his tail.
- To throw out with a jerk or quickly.
lambaste, lay into, have words, cuff, scald, take to task, whisk, box, flip-flop, strap, slam, scold, blister, whiplash, excoriate, thresh, disaster, thresh about, slap, shock, jactitate, beat out, soap, chew up, concussion, cut down, calamity, lather, gash, cut, trim, score, rebuke, roast, thrash, party whip, rip into, stripe, crush, shell, eyelash, jaw, welt, drub, chew out, slash, praise, rack up, thrash about, whiplash injury, toss, lambast, stroke, thump, reward, call on the carpet, trounce, mop up, rag, call down, dress down, flog, pip, lecture, vanquish, worst, beat, bawl out, buffet, hide, knock, remonstrate, lick, misfortune, chide, whip, berate, cilium, blow, reproof, thong, rap, reprimand, convulse, scourge.
- attack (part of speech: verb)
punishment device (part of speech: noun)
- solitary confinement,
- bull whip,
- electric chair,
- whipping post,
- birch rod,
- torture chamber,
- gas chamber,
- fasten (part of speech: verb)
- "In Desert and Wilderness", Henryk Sienkiewicz.
- "A Minstrel In France", Harry Lauder.