Definition of last :
1. A load; a heavy burden; hence, a certain weight or measure, generally estimated at 4, 000 lbs., but varying for different articles and in different countries. In England, a last of codfish, white herrings, meal, or ashes, is twelve barrels; a last of corn, ten quarters, or eighty bushels, in some parts of England, twenty- one quarters; of gunpowder, twenty- four barrels, each containing 100 lbs; of red herrings, twenty cades, or 20, 000; of hides, twelve dozen; of leather, twenty dickers; of pitch and tar, fourteen barrels; of wool, twelve sacks; of flax or feathers, 1, 700 lbs.
2. A wooden block shaped like the human foot, on which boots and shoes are formed.
3. At a time next preceding the present time.
4. At a time or on an occasion which is the latest of all those spoken of or which have occurred; the last time; as, I saw him last in New York.
5. Being after all the others, similarly classed or considered, in time, place, or order of succession; following all the rest; final; hindmost; farthest; as, the last year of a century; the last man in a line of soldiers; the last page in a book; his last chance.
6. Farthest of all from a given quality, character, or condition; most unlikely; having least fitness; as, he is the last person to be accused of theft.
7. In conclusion; finally.
8. Lowest in rank or degree; as, the last prize.
9. Next before the present; as, I saw him last week.
10. Supreme; highest in degree; utmost.
11. The burden of a ship; a cargo.
12. To continue in time; to endure; to remain in existence.
13. To endure use, or continue in existence, without impairment or exhaustion; as, this cloth lasts better than that; the fuel will last through the winter.
14. To shape with a last; to fasten or fit to a last; to place smoothly on a last; as, to last a boot.
hold water, culture, depart, remainder, unalterable, stopping point, brave out, death, closing curtain, function, modern, late, get, populate, net, withstand, final stage, expiry, finally, serve, croak, cash in one's chips, in the end, become, stand firm, extreme, start, exit, pull round, finish, lead, refinement, modish, goal, put up, pull through, make it, resist, pop off, stylish, rifle, run, expire, fourth-year, current, outmoded, shoemaker's last, live on, dying, determination, stand up, farthermost, worst, uttermost, newest, conclusion, belong, operate, travel, break down, proceed, previous, cultivation, conk out, fashionable, cobbler's last, conclusively, digest, sunset, defy, unlikely, know, run short, endmost, most recently, parthian, up-to-date, end, brave, blend, demise, sustain, perish, near, be, last-place, support, stretch forth, locomote, buy the farm, sound, in conclusion, finis, inhabit, answer, hold out, close, get going, stale, furthermost, do, oddment, move, kick the bucket, come through, polish, high, satisfy, give way, farthest, fail, at last, eventually, later, die hard, coating, dwell, exsert, blend in, at long last, stomach, die, remnant, stick up, senior, pass, furthest, termination, penultimate, ultimately, go bad, subterminal, latest, antepenultimate, lowest, decease, weather, work, brook, immediate, parting, past, delay, go away, destruction, precede, finale, latter, rearmost, destination, drop dead, run low, extend, ultimate, pass away, old, decision, go, break, hold, detain, ratiocination, fit, give out, lattermost, next-to-last, utmost, coda, stretch out, hold up, wear, choke, stick out, put out, nett, stand, plump, inalterable, snuff it, conk, foregoing, lastly, give-up the ghost, preceding
endure (part of speech: verb)
last (part of speech: adjective)
remain (part of speech: verb)
final (part of speech: adjective)
determinate, far-off, climactic, hindmost, least, first, definitive, far, outermost, conclusive, determinative, foremost, once and for all, decisive, hindermost, ulterior, crowning, antipodal, eventual
age (part of speech: verb)
abide (part of speech: verb)
persevere (part of speech: verb)
exist (part of speech: verb)
perpetuate (part of speech: verb)