Definition of layer:
- A shoot or twig of a plant, not detached from the stock, laid under ground for growth or propagation.
- An article of furniture to sleep or take rest in or on; a couch. Specifically: A sack or mattress, filled with some soft material, in distinction from the bedstead on which it is placed ( as, a feather bed), or this with the bedclothes added. In a general sense, any thing or place used for sleeping or reclining on or in, as a quantity of hay, straw, leaves, or twigs.
- An artificial oyster bed.
- One who, or that which, lays.
- That which is laid; a stratum; a bed; one thickness, course, or fold laid over another; as, a layer of clay or of sand in the earth; a layer of bricks, or of plaster; the layers of an onion.
level, socio-economic class, point, overlay, social class, coping, floor, coating, fold, lamella, flap, panel, stratum, thickness, band, course, degree, class, spirit level, lap, overlap, stage, girdle, substratum, cover, zone, ply, sheet, slab, seam, delamination, stripe, lamina, film, bottom, horizontal surface, storey, bed.
- "The Myrtle Reed Cook Book", Myrtle Reed.
- "Ethel Morton's Enterprise", Mabell S.C. Smith.
- "Norwegian Life", Ethlyn T. Clough.