Definition of lead :
1. A conductor conveying electricity, as from a dynamo.
2. A lode.
3. A mark or a short passage in one voice part, as of a canon, serving as a cue for the entrance of others.
4. A plummet or mass of lead, used in sounding at sea.
5. A rle for a leading man or leading woman; also, one who plays such a rle.
6. A small cylinder of black lead or plumbago, used in pencils.
7. A thin strip of type metal, used to separate lines of type in printing.
8. An article made of lead or an alloy of lead
9. An open way in an ice field.
10. In an internal- combustion engine, the distance, measured in actual length of piston stroke or the corresponding angular displacement of the crank, of the piston from the end of the compression stroke when ignition takes place; -- called in full lead of the ignition. When ignition takes place during the working stroke the corresponding distance from the commencement of the stroke is called negative lead.
11. In spiral screw threads, worm wheels, or the like, the amount of advance of any point in the spiral for a complete turn.
12. One of the elements, a heavy, pliable, inelastic metal, having a bright, bluish color, but easily tarnished. It is both malleable and ductile, though with little tenacity, and is used for tubes, sheets, bullets, etc. Its specific gravity is 11. 37. It is easily fusible, forms alloys with other metals, and is an ingredient of solder and type metal. Atomic weight, 206. 4. Symbol Pb ( L. Plumbum). It is chiefly obtained from the mineral galena, lead sulphide.
13. precedence; advance position; also, the measure of precedence; as, the white horse had the lead; a lead of a boat's length, or of half a second.
14. Sheets or plates of lead used as a covering for roofs; hence, pl., a roof covered with lead sheets or terne plates.
15. The act of leading or conducting; guidance; direction; as, to take the lead; to be under the lead of another.
16. The act or right of playing first in a game or round; the card suit, or piece, so played; as, your partner has the lead.
17. The action of a tooth, as a tooth of a wheel, in impelling another tooth or a pallet.
18. The advance of the current phase in an alternating circuit beyond that of the electromotive force producing it.
19. The angle between the line joining the brushes of a continuous- current dynamo and the diameter symmetrical between the poles.
20. The announcement by one voice part of a theme to be repeated by the other parts.
21. The course of a rope from end to end.
22. the distance of haul, as from a cutting to an embankment.
23. The excess above a right angle in the angle between two consecutive cranks, as of a compound engine, on the same shaft.
24. The width of port opening which is uncovered by the valve, for the admission or release of steam, at the instant when the piston is at end of its stroke.
25. To begin a game, round, or trick, with; as, to lead trumps; the double five was led.
26. To conduct or direct with authority; to have direction or charge of; as, to lead an army, an exploring party, or a search; to lead a political party.
27. To cover, fill, or affect with lead; as, continuous firing leads the grooves of a rifle.
28. To draw or direct by influence, whether good or bad; to prevail on; to induce; to entice; to allure; as, to lead one to espouse a righteous cause.
29. To go or to be in advance of; to precede; hence, to be foremost or chief among; as, the big sloop led the fleet of yachts; the Guards led the attack; Demosthenes leads the orators of all ages.
30. To guide or conduct in a certain course, or to a certain place or end, by making the way known; to show the way, esp. by going with or going in advance of. Hence, figuratively: To direct; to counsel; to instruct; as, to lead a traveler; to lead a pupil.
31. To guide or conduct one's self in, through, or along ( a certain course); hence, to proceed in the way of; to follow the path or course of; to pass; to spend. Also, to cause ( one) to proceed or follow in ( a certain course).
32. To guide or conduct with the hand, or by means of some physical contact connection; as, a father leads a child; a jockey leads a horse with a halter; a dog leads a blind man.
33. To guide or conduct, as by accompanying, going before, showing, influencing, directing with authority, etc.; to have precedence or preeminence; to be first or chief; - used in most of the senses of lead, v. t.
34. To place leads between the lines of; as, to lead a page; leaded matter.
35. To tend or reach in a certain direction, or to a certain place; as, the path leads to the mill; gambling leads to other vices.
lede, require, soften, arch, bullock, chasten, deal, clampdown, lease, model, break, fly the coop, nothingness, high, take to the woods, crest, come in, star, dissuade, pencil lead, be given, overstep, ternion, kick the bucket, shepherd, spend, continue, galena, raise, give, slip by, melt down, prevail on, hotshot, bequeath, strike, threesome, excrete, consider, leading lady, administrative, melt, hold up, accept, occur, trace, break down, acquire, gratuity, bit part, flow, doorplate, make it, prototype, lead-in, pursue, jumper lead, take in, conk, achieve, adept, tow, corpus, expand, hightail it, forego, trail, channelise, ham, cartridge, article, advice column, chairman, start, break away, lapse, legislate, dealer, end, principal sum, alligator clip, gallop, initiate, draw, range, come, preeminent, Amber alert, take on, leave alone, shoot, leadership, get going, troika, run, race, leave behind, preface, premier, die hard, three, mince, summit, convey, lam, live by, drive, comedian, bunk, leading, get, tame, locomote, baddy, perish, farting, CSR, inkstand, doorknocker, add, moderate, carry on, ladder, open, go past, haul, trey, intimation, lean, cable, false start, function, take away, mastermind, go out, go along, triad, put out, collar, aim, triplet, deport, take place, guide on, go on, artwork, connect, get out, glide by, thrive, offer, rifle, track, fade, stretch forth, instance, backsheesh, authorise, doorjamb, train, announcement, first, urge on, malarkey, allure, fountain pen, doorbell, APB, goodie, peak, fall, trine, blue lead, caterpillar track, transcend, whiz, escape, hookup, conk out, unravel, prolong, encourage, actress, room, lure, channelize, idle words, bend, usher in, extra, protract, tercet, head for the hills, attract, calculate, get off, turn over, travel by, cartroad, baksheesh, necessitate, become, deliver, transmit, tierce, chrome, look at, flatus, chip in, enter, suggestion, all-points bulletin, slip away, course, ace, allow, call for, campaign, widen, forget, address, go without, fail, be/get there, fart, archetype, submit, survive, caterpillar tread, draw out, turn tail, touch, run away, institute, tether, sensation, take up, broaden, maven, actor, maneuver, petabyte, hold, orchestrate, proceed, get hold of, play, happen, move, outlet, brass, live out your life, foremost, pass along, petabit, bear, flea collar, go away, ballpoint, hold in, depart, pull up stakes, wizard, exit, croak, put up, kick in, carry, graphite, take, bakshis, lead story, study, fill, route, acquit, mite, temper, Biro, chief, occupy, incline, breath, convince, black market, run short, virtuoso, curb, wind instrument, winding, escort, commanding, bleed, sink, pack, surpass, manoeuver, jack, succeed, speck, primary, bronze, entrust, double, consume, bid, overtake, agent provocateur, usher, go forth, crocodile clip, place, spur, dead heat, exact, conduce, haul off, clear, live, stereotype, whizz, go bad, highlighter, head teacher, clown, blend in, hunt, reach out, the blocks, go through, jumper cable, track down, manoeuvre, prosper, asterisk, principal, baton, result, terzetto, entice, artiste, crown, organise, top out, dash, pourboire, communicate, bakshish, soupcon, adopt, pass off, chairmanship, provide, heart-throb, clue, administration, muzzle, wiz, travel, head up, last, tug, use up, leave, see, alias, unfold, doorpost, ingest, tinge, case, leash, malarky, link, guide, put across, go by, genius, cart track, current of air, critical-path method, pass by, bad guy, acrobat, fit, launch, film, choke, atomic number 82, walk, cameo, confidential information, tip, endure, comedienne, have, chorus, come about, the personification of something, branch off, approach, blow over, scat, die, trinity, set to, bestow, wind, stretch out, drop dead, prime, cast, coat, check, induce, crisis management, good guy, shuffle, raceway, act, return, checkpoint, take aim, racecourse, hunt down, champion, pass, cash in one's chips, hand, pass on, ascend, commence, lend, evanesce, remove, subscribe to, felt-tip, go, doorknob, credit, set out, need, presiding, prod, clock, hint, call, admit, give out, Pb, withdraw, make pass, assume, running, sound, banner headline, run for, drop back, learn, engineer, begin, look after, send, prevail, deuce-ace, show, elapse, give way, postulate, classified ad, comic, reach, captain, byline, mavin, conjurer, win out, claim, artist, blend, trio, clean up, divide, comport, expire, subscribe, contribute, contract, pass away, top off, character actor, scarper, best, will, read, follow, star topology, school principal, door, poke out, body double, embark, cover, pebibyte, air current, charter, fleet, cut, decease, target, data track, dog collar, premise, aluminium, point, behave, admin, doorstep, involve, cartoon, undertake, extend, kick off, doorstop, rails, bifurcate, devolve, costar, set about, ternary, jazz, overhaul, headliner, runway, pull, pop off, make, jot, diverge, consort, words, persuade, cast iron, ask, cheesecake, snuff it, ensue, superstar, spark advance, drop out, path, come before, get cracking, drag, demand, eliminate, go across, exceed, supreme, get the show on the road, fall out, adapter, racetrack, marker, belong, chair, adventurism, watch over, bauxite, give-up the ghost, stretch, hire, operate, select, slide by, top, be, centerfold, run low, channel, strain, tend, contain, tone down, get ahead, hap, live on, buy the farm, booster cable, beat, be a roaring success, engage, rail, supereminent, flourish, choke chain, pick out, ply, template, twist, plump, hold out, forgo, impart, work, bring, choose, breaking wind, example, inaugurate, rent, allow for, feed, pinch, exsert, persist, organize, egest, ahead
direct (part of speech: verb)
precede (part of speech: verb)
directed (part of speech: adjective)
element (part of speech: noun)
europium, iodine, cobalt, zinc, neon, arsenic, carbon, argon, beryllium, silver, polonium, boron, promethium, platinum, antimony, radium, americium, chlorine, sulfur, mendelevium, tellurium, cadmium, erbium, copper, technetium, praseodymium, magnesium, cesium, fermium, germanium, nickel, oxygen, lithium, thallium, palladium, mercury, californium, rhodium, xenon, berkelium, curium, thulium, ruthenium, lutetium, gallium, nitrogen, manganese, molybdenum, iron, uranium, phosphorus, tin, bromine, terbium, cerium, krypton, niobium, holmium, scandium, potassium, rubidium, thorium, helium, osmium, strontium, hydrogen, indium, neptunium, gold, hafnium, vanadium, sodium, bismuth, neodymium, rhenium, ytterbium, einsteinium, gadolinium, calcium, nobelium, plutonium, titanium, dysprosium, lanthanum, francium, iridium, chromium, selenium, aluminum, yttrium, tungsten, silicon, astatine, actinium, tantalum, fluorine, barium, radon, zirconium, samarium, element, protactinium
controlled (part of speech: adjective)
preceded (part of speech: verb)
cord (part of speech: noun)
metal (part of speech: noun)
influence (part of speech: verb)
master (part of speech: verb)
control (part of speech: verb)