Definition of lean :
1. Of a character which prevents the compositor from earning the usual wages; - opposed to fat; as, lean copy, matter, or type.
2. That part of flesh which consist principally of muscle without the fat.
3. To cause to lean; to incline; to support or rest.
4. To conceal.
5. To incline in opinion or desire; to conform in conduct; - with to, toward, etc.
6. To incline, deviate, or bend, from a vertical position; to be in a position thus inclining or deviating; as, she leaned out at the window; a leaning column.
7. To rest or rely, for support, comfort, and the like; - with on, upon, or against.
8. Unremunerative copy or work.
9. Wanting flesh; destitute of or deficient in fat; not plump; meager; thin; lank; as, a lean body; a lean cattle.
10. Wanting fullness, richness, sufficiency, or productiveness; deficient in quality or contents; slender; scant; barren; bare; mean; - used literally and figuratively; as, the lean harvest; a lean purse; a lean discourse; lean wages.
disposition, guide, cant, campaign, say, roll, black market, arguing, slender-waisted, reedlike, prevail, cadaverous, die hard, scarecrowish, play, believe in, magnetic dip, angle of dip, cower, spindle-legged, there is/are etc., break away, sinewy, list, operate, fish, ply, magnetic inclination, shriveled, scarper, arable, cultivated, joust, sway, reverse, anorexic, pass, scraggy, tap, hunt, in absentia, slant, move, spindly, crook, collective, gangly, crane, bestride, slope, fragile, argument, fee, tip up, tough, tiptoe, disceptation, range, consider, run, hunt down, twiglike, inclination of an orbit, reckon, bend, bow, slim-waisted, persist, topple, spin, inclining, head for the hills, occupy, combine, overturn, concentrate, sparse, meaty, weedy, propensity, trim, lank, tip off, burrow, stringy, lost, belong, stand, unattainable, crouch, disputation, wizen, meager, flyblown, consort, function, wobble, melt, heel over, trend, contention, gradient, haggard, business-to-business, wasted, hollow-eyed, go, lam, fatless, absent, likely, contestation, cash crop, rake, all-night, underweight, heel, unravel, run away, petite, jerk, jellied, endure, execute, work, controversy, angle, accredited, skinless, ladder, run for, shrunken, rise, lacking, course, race, lithe, svelte, wisplike, deep-eyed, tendency, number, leaning, adhere to, withered, bloated, crop circle, hold, dip, scat, wasp-waisted, brick-and-mortar, twiggy, inclination, gone, shrivelled, pitch, lead, dainty, anorectic, feed, turn tail, melt down, bunk, missing, proclivity, double over, balance, flimsy, dispose, big, escape, strong, think, take to the woods, away, tip, straight, fibrous, wispy, gangling, wizened, muscular, wiry, gaunt, crop, angle of inclination, grade, corn, cant over, turn something inside out, set, tumble, hightail it, deficient, bung, bleed, business, cultivate, spindle-shanked, draw, exist, unavailable, extend, get, track down, adjust, sunken-eyed, reedy, unprofitable, lie, crop rotation, careen, boneless, slight, anticompetitive, flow, fly the coop, have a mind of your own, pinched, turn, listing, tilt, name, be given, rock, know best, bony, carry, emaciated, weight, misplaced, skimpy, squint, tippytoe, insufficient, rawboned, shift, sit
narrow (part of speech: adjective)
tend (part of speech: verb)
severe (part of speech: adjective)
demanding, rigid, austere, fundamental, gruff, rigorous, brusque, dry, uncompromising, precise, curt, piquant, correct, brisk, chilly, obstinate, icy, stiff-necked, bleak, obdurate, disciplined, cutting, spare, stringent, hidebound, blunt, caustic, censorious, keen, cool, tart, exacting, basic, acute, sharp, ascetic, acerbic, imperial, raw, astringent, prudish, meticulous, severe, frosty, Spartan, Draconian, harsh, acrimonious, unbending, intense, puritanical, oppressive, intolerant, critical, authoritarian, short, abrupt, strict, stern, relentless, stark, inflexible, crisp, grim, strait-laced, dour