Definition of leaven:
- Any substance that produces, or is designed to produce, fermentation, as in dough or liquids; esp., a portion of fermenting dough, which, mixed with a larger quantity of dough, produces a general change in the mass, and renders it light; yeast; barm.
- Anything which makes a general assimilating ( especially a corrupting) change in the mass.
- To imbue; to infect; to vitiate.
- To make light by the action of leaven; to cause to ferment.
evidence, fire, produce, demonstrate, raise, rise, put forward, shew, levy, bring up, kick upstairs, enhance, cause, conjure, invoke, advance, provoke, recruit, lighten, nurture, kindle, test, arouse, essay, upraise, grow, farm, catalyst, show, enkindle, change, elicit, promote, evoke, leavening, try, upgrade, call forth, conjure up, elevate, affect, set up, stir, put up, turn out, call down, turn up, prove, yeast, resurrect, get up, examine, rear, parent, influence, bear witness, try out, establish, testify, lift, heighten, ferment, erect.
- "The Complete Essays of C. D. Warner", Charles Dudley Warner.
- "K", Mary Roberts Rinehart.
- "Life and Work in Benares and Kumaon, 1839-1877", James Kennedy.