Definition of leech:
- A glass tube of peculiar construction, adapted for drawing blood from a scarified part by means of a vacuum.
- A physician or surgeon; a professor of the art of healing.
- Any one of numerous genera and species of annulose worms, belonging to the order Hirudinea, or Bdelloidea, esp. those species used in medicine, as Hirudo medicinalis of Europe, and allied species.
- See 2d Leach.
- See Leach, v. t.
- The border or edge at the side of a sail.
- To bleed by the use of leeches.
- To treat as a surgeon; to doctor; as, to leech wounds.
parasite, sycophant, run, deadbeat, hanger-on, sponger, poriferan, sponge, black widow, blowfly, beetle, dependence, phlebotomise, tightwad, phlebotomize, ant, parazoan, moocher, bleed, boll weevil, cheapskate, bloodsucker, blowfly, taker, aphid, vulture, freeloader, hanger-on, miser, shed blood, bedbug, skinflint, bluebottle, bee, hemorrhage, quick study, hirudinean, free rider.
- "Moon of Israel", H. Rider Haggard.
- "Early English Meals and Manners", Various.
- "The Ontario Readers: The High School Reader, 1886", Ministry of Education.