Definition of less :
1. A smaller portion or quantity.
2. Not so much; in a smaller or lower degree; as, less bright or loud; less beautiful.
3. Smaller; not so large or great; not so much; shorter; inferior; as, a less quantity or number; a horse of less size or value; in less time than before.
4. The inferior, younger, or smaller.
5. To make less; to lessen.
nowhere/not anywhere near, smaller, declined, let, peak, reduced, minus, lesser, secondary, junior, subordinate, inferior, iff, not so significant, to a lesser extent, shortened, and, deficient, not as much, fewer, depressed, lower, minor, plus, shorter, not so... (as), the next best/largest/smallest etc., power, not so much as, least, limited, divide/multiply by, diminished, not as great, in decline, circumscribed
less (part of speech: adjective)
- Much less will I tell Pat. - "The Lightning Conductor Discovers America", C. N. (Charles Norris) Williamson and A. M. (Alice Muriel) Williamson.
- I never saw you, and wanted to still less. - "The Lightning Conductor Discovers America", C. N. (Charles Norris) Williamson and A. M. (Alice Muriel) Williamson.
- But it seemed that the maid who came to the door was less pleased with us. - "Our Journey to the Hebrides", Joseph Pennell and Elizabeth Robins Pennell.