Definition of liberal:
- Bestowed in a large way; hence, more than sufficient; abundant; bountiful; ample; profuse; as, a liberal gift; a liberal discharge of matter or of water.
- Bestowing in a large and noble way, as a freeman; generous; bounteous; open- handed; as, a liberal giver.
- Free by birth; hence, befitting a freeman or gentleman; refined; noble; independent; free; not servile or mean; as, a liberal ancestry; a liberal spirit; liberal arts or studies.
- Free to excess; regardless of law or moral restraint; licentious.
- Not bound by orthodox tenets or established forms in political or religious philosophy; independent in opinion; not conservative; friendly to great freedom in the constitution or administration of government; having tendency toward democratic or republican, as distinguished from monarchical or aristocratic, forms; as, liberal thinkers; liberal Christians; the Liberal party.
- Not narrow or contracted in mind; not selfish; enlarged in spirit; catholic.
- Not strict or rigorous; not confined or restricted to the literal sense; free; as, a liberal translation of a classic, or a liberal construction of law or of language.
- One who favors greater freedom in political or religious matters; an opponent of the established systems; a reformer; in English politics, a member of the party, so called. Cf. Whig.
informal, bountiful, loose, escaped, sluttish, on the loose, all-embracing, receptive, promiscuous, idealistic, adult, freehand, complimentary, boastful, imperfect tense, openhanded, open-handed, spacious, high-minded, wide, abundant, heavy, cock-a-hoop, open-hearted, panoptic, advanced, good-looking, attitude, costless, politics, gratuitous, across-the-board, giving, barren, braggy, patient of, light, noble, left, bounteous, grownup, spare, encompassing, full-grown, left-wing, resistant, swelled, large, all-inclusive, large-minded, at large, dispassionate, munificent, idle, imperfect, extensive, chivalrous, big, continuous tense, freehanded, slack, handsome, generous, broad, well-favoured, unsubtle, innocent, bighearted, free-hearted, give, bragging, free, socialised, crowing, understanding, unprejudiced, welfare, narrow-minded, tolerant, inexact, plentiful, latitudinarian, neoliberal, reformist, open, broad-minded, liberalist, all-encompassing, progressive, with child, unspecific, radical, expectant, braggart, grown, unselfish, unstinting, unaffixed, lavish, unconventional, unbiased, gravid, socialized, enceinte, wanton, flexible, prominent, liberalistic, full, indulgent, better-looking, well-favored, fair, impartial, civil-libertarian, great, fully grown, prejudiced, magnanimous, self-aggrandizing, vainglorious, welfarist, unsparing, welfare-statist, blanket, gratis, unorthodox, detached, self-aggrandising, progressive tense, destitute, free-handed, enlightened, bad, disinterested, reasonable, profuse, fine-looking, avant-garde, easy, devoid.
- "History Of Friedrich II. of Prussia, Vol. III. (of XXI.) Frederick The Great--The Hohenzollerns In Brandenburg--1412-1718", Thomas Carlyle.
- "Oxford Lectures on Poetry", Andrew Cecil Bradley.
- "Masters of the Wheat-Lands", Harold Bindloss.