Definition of libertine:
- A defamatory name for a freethinker.
- A manumitted slave; a freedman; also, the son of a freedman.
- Dissolute; licentious; profligate; loose in morals; as, libertine principles or manners.
- Free from restraint; uncontrolled.
- One free from restraint; one who acts according to his impulses and desires; now, specifically, one who gives rein to lust; a rake; a debauchee.
- One of a sect of Anabaptists, in the fifteenth and early part of the sixteenth century, who rejected many of the customs and decencies of life, and advocated a community of goods and of women.
perverse, lush, decadent, warped, dissolute, rakish, flying, unwholesome, luxuriant, dissipated, romeo, turbulent, extravagant, debauched, betting, immobile, truehearted, debased, prodigal, degenerate, firm, unclean, rounder, rakehell, depraved, dirty old man, fast, sporting, troubled, loose, quick, perverted, sex, rake, card-playing, riotous, degraded, Don Juan, sick, reprobate, womanizer, demoralized, spendthrift, jackleg, loyal, devalued, disruptive, swinger, profligate, immoral, tumultuous, exuberant, debauchee, profuse.
He knew, among other facts concerning Dic, that he was not a libertine; that he was pure in mind and purpose; that he loved and revered Rita Bays; and that he did not care a pin for Sukey's manifold charms of flesh and blood.- "A Forest Hearth: A Romance of Indiana in the Thirties", Charles Major.
- "Leigh Hunt's Relations with Byron, Shelley and Keats", Barnette Miller.
- "Nature and Art", Mrs. Inchbald.