Definition of lick:
- A place where salt is found on the surface of the earth, to which wild animals resort to lick it up; - often, but not always, near salt springs.
- A quick and careless application of anything, as if by a stroke of the tongue, or of something which acts like a tongue; as, to put on colors with a lick of the brush. Also, a small quantity of any substance so applied.
- A slap; a quick stroke.
- A stroke of the tongue in licking.
- To draw or pass the tongue over; as, a dog licks his master's hand.
- To lap; to take in with the tongue; as, a dog or cat licks milk.
- To strike with repeated blows for punishment; to flog; to whip or conquer, as in a pugilistic encounter.
tremble, knead, ounce, squat, cultivate, trailer, chow down, circle, win, lay into, contact, lap covering, punch, damn, whip, darn, prevail against, work up, speck, carry off, crunch, biff, hint, paper bag, go, thump, little, accompaniment, syllable, demolish, play, skim off, operate, spark, breakbeat, thwack, crescendo, do work, act upon, palpitate, leap, slug, chomp, streak, swipe, fillip, manage, dart, mold, rout, drone, mite, strike, lam, make, fig, haymaker, process, cadence, thrash about, clear, continental, overlap, conquer, whoop, glance, hide, swish, slam dance, thrusting, overcome, rap, kiss, overpower, hammer blow, poking, calculate, bite, pat, burn, bit, scintilla, tad, reward, jabbing, vanquish, best, thresh, hack, reckon, choke down, modicum, gloss over, blow, pick, subjugate, jab, shrug off, driblet, influence, crush, trace, pluck, douse, flutter, ace, stroke, whop, graze, solve, ripple, attack, puncher, surmount, form, scruple, box, knock, doodley-squat, chop, caress, snap, baste, smack, pigeon berry, vacillate, clobber, descant, devour, cope, swoosh, sock, beans, cream, mosh, gather up, bust, flog, jactitate, hold, wallop, cuff, dram, vibrate, clout, counterpoint, pick up, beat up, suspicion, run over, swat, sack, plump, dawdler, crumb, type slug, touch, handling, frustrate, resolve, smash, toss, soupçon, glimmer, tranquilize, arpeggio, skosh, exercise, champ, ray, flail, beat, rub, convulse, stun, hit, cipher, whit, bolt, wave, swosh, thresh about, iota, waver, smidgen, ghost, subdue, sluggard, pound, batter, larrup, tittle, handle, bop, switch, elaborate, pelt, strain, laggard, master, coda, cream off, work, crop, stinger, drub, wash, soothe, salt lick, fluctuate, bump, wham, lagger, knock out, clout nail, carrier bag, exploit, clap, shape, stripe, sweep, bludgeon, clutch, quiver, worst, get through, clip, slash, sprinkling, grasp, act, shred, slam, feel, diddly-squat, ferment, turn, whack, scoke, brush, splash, lap, tap, work on, flourish, belt, butt, garget, advance, pass over, mould, hoot, bullet, forge, welt, shoot, slap, nip, skim, diddly, calm, fondle, conk, crack, work out, run, thud, figure, spatter, lap up, function, trim, bonk, bubkes, put to work, excerpt, spot, tongue, shadow, bring, shade, sour, figure out, poke, thrash, bat, make for, circuit, wreak, grip, lash, smell, peanuts, defeat, thrust, buffet, blaze, pull, puzzle out, hook, bash, lave, dab, cypher, compute, paste, bang, spank, cannibalize.
- "Tales from the Veld", Ernest Glanville.
- "The Lilac Sunbonnet", S.R. Crockett.
- "The Flying Stingaree", Harold Leland Goodwin.