Definition of lift:
- A handle.
- A hoisting machine; an elevator; a dumb waiter.
- A layer of leather in the heel.
- A lift gate. See gate, below.
- A rise; a degree of elevation; as, the lift of a lock in canals.
- A rope leading from the masthead to the extremity of a yard below; - used for raising or supporting the end of the yard.
- Act of lifting; also, that which is lifted.
- An exercising machine.
- Help; assistance, as by lifting; as, to give one a lift in a wagon.
- One of the steps of a cone pulley.
- That by means of which a person or thing lifts or is lifted
- That portion of the vibration of a balance during which the impulse is given.
- The sky; the atmosphere; the firmament.
- The space or distance through which anything is lifted; as, a long lift.
- To bear; to support.
- To collect, as moneys due; to raise.
- To live by theft.
- To move in a direction opposite to that of gravitation; to raise; to elevate; to bring up from a lower place to a higher; to upheave; sometimes implying a continued support or holding in the higher place; -- said of material things; as, to lift the foot or the hand; to lift a chair or a burden.
- To raise, elevate, exalt, improve, in rank, condition, estimation, character, etc.; - often with up.
- To rise; to become or appear raised or elevated; as, the fog lifts; the land lifts to a ship approaching it.
- To steal; to carry off by theft ( esp. cattle); as, to lift a drove of cattle.
- To try to raise something; to exert the strength for raising or bearing.
rebel, rejoice in, procession, spring up, bone, jump for joy, rising slope, revolutionize, bring a smile to your face/lips, mulct, leg up, set up, crook, abandon, put up, transport, nullify, hand, consume, transit passenger, prepare, crochet, crimp, fosterage, criminalize, glom, bed out, clear, uprear, change by reversal, mention, elicit, apply, fostering, cloud, call forth, assist, nod, scam, revoke, plagiarize, snare, nobble, trick up, conjure up, shoulder, pluck, hearten, bow, bunco, wage hike, kidnap, gussy up, ascending, uphold, organise, aerobatics, goldbrick, draw near, find, air corridor, tog up, pilfer, repeal, addict, weave, transfer passenger, break through, roll, scrape, hook, filch, recruit, rig out, come near, face lifting, come on, snarf, incline, annul, elevate, toss your head/hair back, feed, elate, surface, boost, stowaway, breeding, rescind, tump over, animate, pinnacle, bend, quaver, uprise, kindle, drill, rook, subvert, go toward, stand up, upgrade, cosmetic surgery, twine, turn out, bob up, twitch, help yourself to something, inspirit, air traffic control, snatch, approach, tilt, turn over, bring up, machinate, revitalize, flight, passage, abetment, decriminalize, scatter, seatmate, turn back, choke, pussyfoot, resurrect, collect, take, hoist, burn up, increase, please, rise up, plume, line up, happy, height, remedy, work up, utilize, purloin, advert, exploit, fig up, slip, gazump, organize, drop, con, aggrandisement, solicit, knock over, airspeed, upset, overthrow, face-lift, grind away, bestride, fall back on, aerospace, treasure, facelift, back seat driver, cost increase, compost, prink, aggrandizement, snitch, surcharge, overcharge, swot up, cross-fertilize, produce, void, elevation, ski lift, inspire, transmit, boot, come up, ski tow, cram, rhytidectomy, bonsai, wind up, aerate, rearing, remove, airlift, twist, resign, give, promote, improve, wrap, superlative, vacate, modulate, bone up, enhance, eject, come down, go on, flush, turn, knock off, squeeze, excite, kick upstairs, rise, captain, step up, clear up, motion, brighten, hike, evoke, bowl over, banister, drive, weight, empty, swipe, make, air pocket, break, balance, double, hold, tog out, airborne, dress up, transportation, amend, hitchhiker, twinge, crouch, leaven, abolish, hump, wander, altitude, take off, swot, use, raising, avoid, quash, ladder, invoke, countermand, heaving, wax, parent, come in, burrow, come, landing, conjure, retch, emanation, air-to-air, move up, revolutionise, handrail, exhilarate, bank, go through the roof, bob your head, farm, grow, draw close, toss, abrogate, override, tweet, journey, go up, nose, acme, gyp, wind, amendment, tip over, victimize, bristle, stir, make someone's day, add to, rear, down, airdrop, ease, rip off, disperse, close in, mouse, cabbage, natural elevation, be burdened with something, gladden, originate, invalidate, renounce, near, escalator, muster, attire, law, correct, drum, advance, call down, backdate, multiply, dissipate, rhytidoplasty, trick out, thrive on, upbringing, thread, thieve, wage increase, muster up, ditch, cheer, rejoice, duck, run up, provoke, bring down, abduct, hitcher, sustain, get hold, fall, soak, buoy, convey, draw on, enkindle, be happy for someone, helping hand, crack, kick up, fancy up, gip, fickle, abstract, schlep, aerodynamic lift, scratch, invert, tiptop, heave, hornswoggle, summon, put forward, jump, pick up, climb up, buzz, deadhead, vellicate, get-up, codify, take up, bringing up, arise, prove, deck up, avert your eyes/gaze/head etc., devise, recall, enrich, scrape up, overrule, creep, nip and tuck, backing, brighten up, deck out, elevator, look forward to, nurture, overdress, sneak, pinch, cite, bring in, move, arouse, acclivity, cower, plagiarise, bring, live happily ever after, rustle, levy, wreathe, curve, pull, rally, diddle, develop, bannister, fig out, do someone's heart good, accost, scent, carry, brighten (up) someone's day/life, walk off with, burgle, reboot, meridian, reverse, raise, top, burn down, refer, crane, salary increase, meander, improve on, harden, name, passenger, run away with, fire, fire escape, give up, summit, short-change, bear, double over, mug up, optimization, peak, cross-pollinate, continue, overturn, dumbwaiter.
- ascend (part of speech: verb)
- aid (part of speech: verb)
- ascent (part of speech: noun)
- elevate (part of speech: verb)
- steal (part of speech: verb)