Definition of lightening:
- cheering (part of speech: verb)
- brightening (part of speech: verb)
diminishing (part of speech: verb)
- lightening (part of speech: verb)
- amusing (part of speech: verb)
And so during the night he marked, more or less audibly to the half- conscious woman at his side, the low whisper of the waves, the murmur of the far- off breakers, the lightening and thickening of the fog, the phantoms of moving shapes, and the slow coming of the dawn.- "On the Frontier", Bret Harte.
- "The Outcaste", F. E. Penny.
- "Caribbee", Thomas Hoover.