Definition of lily :
1. A name given to handsome flowering plants of several genera, having some resemblance in color or form to a true lily, as Pancratium, Crinum, Amaryllis, Nerine, etc.
2. A plant and flower of the genus Lilium, endogenous bulbous plants, having a regular perianth of six colored pieces, six stamens, and a superior three- celled ovary.
3. A royal spade; - usually in pl. See Royal spade, below.
4. That end of a compass needle which should point to the north; - so called as often ornamented with the figure of a lily or fleur- de- lis.
flower (part of speech: noun)
fuchsia, crocus, fleur-de-lis, geranium, amaryllis, hawthorn, aster, edelweiss, morning-glory, snowberry, water lily, snowball, phlox, Queen Anne's lace, marigold, columbine, sweet william, rhododendron, mayflower, hepatica, yucca, oleander, clematis, camellia, hyacinth, chrysanthemum, rose, azalea, spirea, black-eyed susan, wallflower, hibiscus, bluebell, flax, periwinkle, cowslip, lupine, ranunculus, dahlia, anemone, forget-me-not, verbena, cornflower, orchid, hydrangea, jonquil, buttercup, jasmine, wisteria, trillium, mimosa, strawflower, indigo, pansy, baby's breath, daffodil, tulip, daisy, acacia, primrose, rosemary, dogwood, goldenrod, smilax, lavender, gladiolus, narcissus, duckweed, peony, lotus, lilac, carnation, laurel, dandelion, larkspur, gardenia, flower, snapdragon, sweet pea, begonia, African violet, foxglove, foxtail, zinnia, viburnum, honeysuckle, poppy, bloodroot, heather, sunflower, magnolia, lady's slipper, poinsettia, hollyhock, violet, iris, petunia
- As he tossed his cigar butt aside, Lily Condor appealed to him as just the person for the emergency. - "The Blood Red Dawn", Charles Caldwell Dobie.
- So did Tiger Lily. - "Fairy Prince and Other Stories", Eleanor Hallowell Abbott.
- She swayed like a tall lily to the wind, with a few little steps one way and then a few little steps the other; holding out her cotton skirts; her hair blown all about her like a great, red cloud. - "The Heart of Arethusa", Francis Barton Fox.