Definition of limit:
- A determinate quantity, to which a variable one continually approaches, and may differ from it by less than any given difference, but to which, under the law of variation, the variable can never become exactly equivalent.
- A determining feature; a distinguishing characteristic; a differentia.
- A restriction; a check; a curb; a hindrance.
- That which terminates a period of time; hence, the period itself; the full time or extent.
- That which terminates, circumscribes, restrains, or confines; the bound, border, or edge; the utmost extent; as, the limit of a walk, of a town, of a country; the limits of human knowledge or endeavor.
- The space or thing defined by limits.
- To apply a limit to, or set a limit for; to terminate, circumscribe, or restrict, by a limit or limits; as, to limit the acreage of a crop; to limit the issue of paper money; to limit one's ambitions or aspirations; to limit the meaning of a word.
- To beg, or to exercise functions, within a certain limited region; as, a limiting friar.
intend, find, pay off, localize, boundary, goal, determine, constraint, congeal, condition, length, barrier, adjust, destination, specialize, nail down, cut back, touch on, set, saltation, marge, place, bounce, dress, mend, line, keep back, fructify, leap, enclosure, spring, bushel, settle, enclose, particularise, termination, see, demarcation line, restore, curb, position, terminal point, set up, purpose, specialise, situate, conclusion, mark, restrain, trammel, precinct, coiffure, utmost, eventuality, delimit, narrow down, desexualize, localise, jump, make up one's mind, fixate, trap, do, mold, arrange, encumber, hold, rig, resile, bounds, hold back, curtail, square up, contrast, cumber, fix, coiffe, keep, origin, hold in, lay out, influence, cook, correct, typeset, restraint, furbish up, extreme, watch, prepare, reverberate, shape, limitation, limit point, unsex, verge, make, coif, posit, fasten, entrap, set apart, specify, frontier, inhibition, take a hop, snare, define, ultimate, lay, pin down, sic, dividing line, repair, limited, designate, incipience, ready, get, intimidate, cramp, detain, term, constrain, recoil, bourne, ascertain, terminus ad quem, square off, narrow, pay back, countersink, rebound, ricochet, check, find out, demarcation, assign, restrict, sterilise, absolute, put, doctor, go down, throttle, circumscribe, jell, ceiling, sterilize, bourn, choke, deposit, leaping, ensnare, pose, finality, delimitate, peg down, landmark, confine, strangulate, regulate, marches, point of accumulation, decide, learn, margin, secure, go under, circumscription, desex, stricture, gear up, bound, desexualise, strangle, delineate, particularize, destine, plant.
- limit (part of speech: verb)
- edge (part of speech: verb)
- outline (part of speech: noun)
- qualify (part of speech: verb)
- summit (part of speech: noun)
- "The Complete Project Gutenberg Works of George Meredith", George Meredith.
- "Games for the Playground, Home, School and Gymnasium", Jessie H. Bancroft.
- "Gaslight Sonatas", Fannie Hurst.