Definition of line :
1. A circle of latitude or of longitude, as represented on a map.
2. A connected series of public conveyances, and hence, an established arrangement for forwarding merchandise, etc.; as, a line of stages; an express line.
3. A linen thread or string; a slender, strong cord; also, a cord of any thickness; a rope; a hawser; as, a fishing line; a line for snaring birds; a clothesline; a towline.
4. A long tape, or a narrow ribbon of steel, etc., marked with subdivisions, as feet and inches, for measuring; a tapeline.
5. A measure of length; one twelfth of an inch.
6. A measuring line or cord.
7. A more or less threadlike mark of pen, pencil, or graver; any long mark; as, a chalk line.
8. A number of shares taken by a jobber.
9. A row of letters, words, etc., written or printed; esp., a row of words extending across a page or column.
10. A row of men who are abreast of one another, whether side by side or some distance apart; - opposed to column.
11. A series of various qualities and values of the same general class of articles; as, a full line of hosiery; a line of merinos, etc.
12. A series or succession of ancestors or descendants of a given person; a family or race; as, the ascending or descending line; the line of descent; the male line; a line of kings.
13. A short letter; a note; as, a line from a friend.
14. A straight row; a continued series or rank; as, a line of houses, or of soldiers; a line of barriers.
15. A threadlike crease marking the face or the hand; hence, characteristic mark.
16. A trench or rampart.
17. A verse, or the words which form a certain number of feet, according to the measure.
18. Course of conduct, thought, occupation, or policy; method of argument; department of industry, trade, or intellectual activity.
19. Direction; as, the line of sight or vision.
20. Dispositions made to cover extended positions, and presenting a front in but one direction to an enemy.
21. Flax; linen.
22. Form of a vessel as shown by the outlines of vertical, horizontal, and oblique sections.
23. Instruction; doctrine.
24. Lineament; feature; figure.
25. One of the straight horizontal and parallel prolonged strokes on and between which the notes are placed.
26. That which has length, but not breadth or thickness.
27. That which was measured by a line, as a field or any piece of land set apart; hence, allotted place of abode.
28. The course followed by anything in motion; hence, a road or route; as, the arrow descended in a curved line; the place is remote from lines of travel.
29. The equator; - usually called the line, or equinoctial line; as, to cross the line.
30. The exterior limit of a figure, plat, or territory; boundary; contour; outline.
31. The longer and finer fiber of flax.
32. The proper relative position or adjustment of parts, not as to design or proportion, but with reference to smooth working; as, the engine is in line or out of line.
33. The regular infantry of an army, as distinguished from militia, guards, volunteer corps, cavalry, artillery, etc.
34. The reins with which a horse is guided by his driver.
35. The track and roadbed of a railway; railroad.
36. The wire connecting one telegraphic station with another, or the whole of a system of telegraph wires under one management and name.
37. To cover the inner surface of; as, to line a cloak with silk or fur; to line a box with paper or tin.
38. To form into a line; to align; as, to line troops.
39. To impregnate; - applied to brute animals.
40. To mark with a line or lines; to cover with lines; as, to line a copy book.
41. To place persons or things along the side of for security or defense; to strengthen by adding anything; to fortify; as, to line works with soldiers.
42. To put something in the inside of; to fill; to supply, as a purse with money.
43. To read or repeat line by line; as, to line out a hymn.
44. To represent by lines; to delineate; to portray.
row, flow, mental strain, puff, simple eye, transportation, origin, element, epithelial duct, misinformation, connection, department, argumentation, block, box, banker's bill, limitation, product line, appointment, file, path, by-line, completely, concessionaire, surround, var., railway, occupation, suck up, field, fiefdom, lacing, sideline, thought, card, antecedents, literary argument, line of credit, linage, division of labor, railway line, rubber band, moving in, fathers, absorb, consultancy, process, stage business, limn, smother, diameter, groove, declivity, extent, spot, constantly, lie, farm animal, line of reasoning, heredity, generation, straining, leader, run, depict, stitch, kinfolk, arguing, side, arpeggio, bend, kinsfolk, fall, reap, business organization, air travel, top, origination, argument, tie, folks, belief, declination, field of operation, duct, end, follicle, confines, term, debate, filament, edge, contain, precede, problem, transmission channel, ridge, flesh, telephone wire, place, 4G, catalogue, distinction, blanket, viewpoint, broth, idea, demesne, specify, formation, contingent, bleeper, avalanche, way, draw, railroad, pattern, caller ID, bailiwick, disposition, key out, grapevine, personal line of credit, contestation, note of hand, phone line, cable television, inventory, name, column, course of study, camber, concept, blank, 3G, courtesy phone, rash, backchat, coda, promissory note, starting line, decipher, embroider, source, comedown, twine, railroad line, profession, channel, fief, plication, ware, procedure, career, theory, crescendo, controversy, arc, variant, no-man's-land, report, crimp, eminence, pull out, everywhere, creese, fund, dividing line, area, root, musical note, steps, clean, fabrication, view, dermis, ancestry, annexe, birth, artery, short letter, bicycle lane, task, tack, preeminence, authenticator, band, blue pages, annex, battalion, occupancy, trench, position, store, chat line, hound, song, conduit, straight, ancestor, BT, axis, pull in, take out, derivative, pull back, railway system, cavalry, circle, trough, distinguish, telephone circuit, gillyflower, cloverleaf, diagonal, vocation, wire, cuticle, stroke, take up, corps, word of mouth, cable's length, notation, bust, feeder, credit line, territory, bourn, draw off, envelop, delegation, lineup, barrier, drag, pains, seam, military control, follow, crack den, assembly line, recover, street, hunt, tonal pattern, house, matter, central reservation, tribe, stress, turn up, production line, material, airwave, attack, enclose, principle, brigade, line of descent, policy, horizontal, tier, calling card, passage, berth, business line, bike lane, bromide, holder, border, engulf, aviation, program, cord, zephyr, comment, beginning, call forwarding, logic, direction, pole, cordon, line of business, lace, profligate, action, check, the Channel Tunnel, the home stretch, billet, business concern, allusion, mindset, walk, patronage, smooth, discipline, delimitate, inside track, penstock, beeper, marge, copy, demarcation, stemma, telephone line, button, enclosure, phalanx, commitment, dependence, demarcation line, bank note, motorcade, frontier, drain, family tree, perspective, stock certificate, ideal, gentle wind, branch, precinct, inside lane, bank bill, trade, clip, alter, mark, subscriber line, blood line, statement, technique, rake, imbibe, suck, government note, corner, rootage, descendant, afterthought, bloodline, counterpoint, pathway, airline, magazine, gunstock, terrain, background, involvement, barony, tracing, sop up, situation, furrow, sphere, inclined plane, art, track, descent, ring, cablegram, transmission line, draw and quarter, descant, chord, cold turkey, pursuit, back talk, work, ocellus, bookseller, brand name, speech, methodology, cameraphone, annotation, flourish, wares, spring, state line, collaboration, caudex, addiction, call, front, untruth, buffer, mend, rakehell, framework, branch line, byproduct, advance guard, school of thought, derivation, routeway, attachment, parameter, business enterprise, commercial enterprise, extraction, length, kris, foot, pedigree, let out, parentage, curvature, run along, course of action, wrap, delimit, lay, carpool lane, rip, collection agency, birthmark, disembowel, crown, landmark, chicane, bed, industry, faith, concern, eviscerate, communication channel, tube, business, end product, force, identify, tone, accompaniment, trace, key, line of work, flexure, tune, answering machine, rope, mind, fold, breeding, good, get, constructor, crinkle, downslope, banknote, strip, air, excerpt, retrace, cavalcade, list, invention, detachment, straightaway, range, part, craft, atmosphere, outline, chain reaction, filiation, quarter, modus operandi, withdraw, crocodile, pass, bury, byplay, domino effect, personal credit line, kettle, limit, bound, aside, commodity, white lie, describe, nervous strain, strap, road, clientele, cutting, cable system, answering service, seed, exit, line of merchandise, melody, cell, attract, cable length, bill, disputation, racket, define, province, scar, melodic line, hem in, plan, livestock, neckcloth, barb, safety belt, epidermis, approach, nisus, contention, contents, planned, calling, a tissue of lies, conversation, caravan, logical argument, wrinkle, trend, kin, line of products, account, tilt, clearinghouse, disceptation, arena, forebear, detail, bank line, employment, delineate, aura, pin up, stick, telegraph wire, inception, scene, coat, pull, kindred, port of entry, produce, half-truth, proceedings, roue, crack, patter, words, breakbeat, business sector, angle, abuse, bourne, philosophy, brokerage, draw in, baggage room, canal, marches, route, beauty spot, crease, automaker, pipeline, declension, domain, tenor, cast, company, prompt, amendment, fissure, employ, cadence, constraint, armada, telegraph line, division, rail line, take in, overseas telegram, verge, breeze, caterer, agate line, discover, attention line, cap, disinformation, call divert, falsehood, caper, cable, crackhouse, direct contrast, call waiting, beauty mark, soak up, office, genealogy, command, parenthood, bon mot, encircle, exeunt, margin, business organisation, control, realm, start, blood, melodic phrase, lane, striving, cue, pragmatism, game, cable television service, extension, group, brand leader, greenback, boundary, firmament, circuit, get out, forbear, job, chore, come on, decline, means, cover, restraint, course of instruction, specialty, merchandise, termination, restriction, freckle, call center, sew, contrast, distribution channel, ceiling, television channel, guide, stage direction
correspondence (part of speech: noun)
category (part of speech: noun)
genus, sort, grain, degree, ilk, step, people, stock, type, species, level, genotype, race, designation, class, family, stamp, make, order, persuasion, phylum, style, clan, kingdom, grade, form, set, caste, brand, breed, label, category, variety, stripe, taxonomy, mold, feather, kind, classification, strain, denomination
gauge (part of speech: noun)
line (part of speech: verb)
sequence (part of speech: noun)
gamut, queue, subsequence, sequence, thread, course, consecution, procession, string, arrangement, succession, lineage, progression, legacy, chain, rank, consecutiveness, series, linkage, consequence, link, train, concatenation, array, sequel