Definition of linger:
skulk, arse about, tarry, loiter, bushwhack, lallygag, bum about, drag on, lag, stagger, putter, hurry, hang on, frig around, mill about, waste one's time, loll around, hang around, traipse, lurk, fall back, loaf, run over, fast, totter, slouch, diddle, hover, brood, mess about, oscillate, ambuscade, loll, footle, falter, lollygag, shilly-shally, loom, stay behind, run on, arse around, hang back, trail, grind on, saunter, hasten, stick around, stand the test of time, levitate, ambush, lumber, trifle, dawdle, scupper, stand, see out, hobble, fall behind, bum around, come down, mope, bide, bulk large, vibrate, waylay, keep, take forever, bum, lie in wait, lounge, mill, lounge around, shuffle, mill around, lounge about, pause, dillydally, idle.
- abide (part of speech: verb)
- remain (part of speech: verb)
- slow (part of speech: verb)
- procrastinate (part of speech: verb)
- "Journal of an African Cruiser", Horatio Bridge.
- "The American Empire", Scott Nearing.
- "The Redemption of David Corson", Charles Frederic Goss.