Definition of liquidate:
- In an extended sense: To ascertain the amount, or the several amounts, of , and apply assets toward the discharge of ( an indebtedness).
- To determine by agreement or by litigation the precise amount of ( indebtedness); or, where there is an indebtedness to more than one person, to determine the precise amount of ( each indebtedness); to make the amount of ( an indebtedness) clear and certain.
- To discharge; to pay off, as an indebtedness.
- To make clear and intelligible.
- To make liquid.
pay back, scratch off, blow, fix, desolate, emaciate, eradicate, fling off, countervail, uproot, pay, annul, dash off, neutralise, cop, shave, counteract, squander, discharge, exchange, pay off, root, negate, redeem, change, get, annihilate, cancel, finish, devastate, make, extirpate, zap, rub out, square, sell, make up, stamp out, languish, abolish, toss off, keep, satisfy, put away, knock-off, drop, obliterate, ravage, consume, destroy, scourge, run off, thieve, neutralize, ware, pine away, waste, help, snitch, bump off, buy off, rot, hook, erase, wipe out, settle, off, cash, repay, compensate, clear, extinguish, macerate, blot out, nullify, glom, snuff out, convert, reimburse, lay waste to, do in, counterbalance.
- "Thaddeus of Warsaw", Jane Porter.
- "Roughing it in the Bush", Susanna Moodie.
It is a fact, that a farmer, with a revenue of ten thousand dollars a year, may obtain all his supplies from his merchant, and liquidate them at the end of the year, by the sale of his produce to him, without the intervention of a single dollar of cash.- "Memoir, Correspondence, And Miscellanies, From The Papers Of Thomas Jefferson", Thomas Jefferson.