Definition of loggerhead:
- A blockhead; a dunce; a numskull.
- A spherical mass of iron, with a long handle, used to heat tar.
- A very large marine turtle ( Thalassochelys caretta, caouana), common in the warmer parts of the Atlantic Ocean, from Brazil to Cape Cod; - called also logger- headed turtle.
- An American shrike ( Lanius Ludovicianus), similar to the butcher bird, but smaller. See Shrike.
- An upright piece of round timber, in a whaleboat, over which a turn of the line is taken when it is running out too fast.
- "The Works of Aphra Behn, Vol. I (of 6)", Aphra Behn.
The chilly teamsters had some time ago crowded into the bar- room with frost on their hair and whiskers; but the frost was fast turning to steam as they drank the cider which John, the new hired man, heated with the red- hot loggerhead.- "Little Grandfather", Sophie May.
- "Jack Tier or The Florida Reef", James Fenimore Cooper.