Definition of loom:
- A frame or machine of wood or other material, in which a weaver forms cloth out of thread; a machine for interweaving yarn or threads into a fabric, as in knitting or lace making.
- See Loon, the bird.
- That part of an oar which is near the grip or handle and inboard from the rowlock.
- The state of looming; esp., an unnatural and indistinct appearance of elevation or enlargement of anything, as of land or of a ship, seen by one at sea.
- To appear above the surface either of sea or land, or to appear enlarged, or distorted and indistinct, as a distant object, a ship at sea, or a mountain, esp. from atmospheric influences; as, the ship looms large; the land looms high.
- To rise and to be eminent; to be elevated or ennobled, in a moral sense.
emergence, dobby, draw, cover, take shape, brood, spinning wheel, vacillate, predominate, sulk, appearance, stew, issue, lurk, hatch, distaff, vertical, overhang, grizzle, spindle, lappet, emerge, prevail, power, bar, lie ahead, oscillate, await, horizontal, rear its (ugly) head, lower, linger, incubate, tower, hulk, call for, spinner, shuttle, lie ahead/before/in store, cane, Navajo, see, double pile, appear, hang over, dwell, bulk large, hover, resurface, table loom, reappear, knitting machine, show, threaten, terry, materialize, interlace, brew, flash, reign, menace, Jacquard, dominate, vibrate, pout, spin, be heading/headed for something, single pile, waiting to happen, small ware, basketry, levitate, rule.