Definition of lottery :
1. A scheme for the distribution of prizes by lot or chance; esp., a gaming scheme in which one or more tickets bearing particular numbers draw prizes, and the rest of tickets are blanks. Fig. : An affair of chance.
2. Allotment; thing allotted.
- I took the book and read, Lottery consisting of ninety tickets, to be drawn every month, only one in eighteen to be a winning number. - "The Memoires of Casanova, Complete The Rare Unabridged London Edition Of 1894, plus An Unpublished Chapter of History, By Arthur Symons", Jacques Casanova de Seingalt.
- To think and to say that greatness is a lottery, is pernicious. - "Comic History of the United States", Bill Nye.
- There is to me something truly scandalous in the association of those two words, Pontifical lottery! - "The Roman Question", Edmond About.