Definition of lozenge :
1. A diamond- shaped figure usually with the upper and lower angles slightly acute, borne upon a shield or escutcheon. Cf. Fusil.
2. A figure with four equal sides, having two acute and two obtuse angles; a rhomb.
3. A form of the escutcheon used by women instead of the shield which is used by men.
4. A small cake of sugar and starch, flavored, and often medicated. - originally in the form of a lozenge.
5. Anything in the form of lozenge.
tabloid, cap, pad of paper, yellow journalism, tab, flare, cuboid, birth control pill, hexagon, equilateral triangle, tab key, capsule, fractal, cross, anaesthetic, check, anticoagulant, heptagon, medicine, anovulant, contraceptive pill, analgesic, pill, chevron, antidepressant, tablet, anabolic steroid, chit, antacid, oral contraceptive pill, oral contraceptive, anesthetic, diamond, cube, antibiotic, anovulatory drug, amphetamine, antidote, pad
candy (part of speech: noun)
- The specimen illustrated shows some of these " jours" having the characteristic mayflower, lozenge, and dotted patterns. - "Chats on Old Lace and Needlework", Emily Leigh Lowes.
- In a lozenge- shaped medallion on a gold background our Lord holds her soul in His arms, in the form of a little child. - "Studies from Court and Cloister", J.M. Stone.
- The marquis glued his face to the lozenge- shaped leaded panes which looked upon the black- walled enclosure of the inner courtyard; but in vain; he saw no gleam of light except from the windows of the old couple, whom he could see and hear as they went and came and talked and coughed. - "Juana", Honore de Balzac.