Definition of luff:
- The act of sailing a ship close to the wind.
- The forward or weather leech of a sail, especially of the jib, spanker, and other fore- and- aft sails.
- The roundest part of a ship's bow.
- The side of a ship toward the wind.
- To turn the head of a vessel toward the wind; to sail nearer the wind; to turn the tiller so as to make the vessel sail nearer the wind.
guide, orient, steer, sharpen, target, direct, channelize, manoeuver, signal, aim, taper, indicate, manoeuvre, head, betoken, place, charge, show, maneuver, designate, level, point, channelise, bespeak, repoint.
- "The Log of a Privateersman", Harry Collingwood.
- "The Silent Places", Steward Edward White.