Definition of maiden :
1. A female servant.
2. A machine for washing linen.
3. An instrument resembling the guillotine, formerly used in Scotland for beheading criminals.
4. An unmarried woman; a girl or woman who has not experienced sexual intercourse; a virgin; a maid.
5. Fresh; innocent; unpolluted; pure; hitherto unused.
6. Never having been married; not having had sexual intercourse; virgin; - said usually of the woman, but sometimes of the man; as, a maiden aunt.
7. Of or pertaining to a maiden, or to maidens; suitable to, or characteristic of, a virgin; as, maiden innocence.
8. To act coyly like a maiden; - with it as an indefinite object.
9. Used of a fortress, signifying that it has never been captured, or violated.
beginning (part of speech: adjective)
foremost, incipient, hatching, introductory, fetal, commencing, infantile, early, dawned, preparatory, formative, first, beginning, nascent, primal, primeval, Genesis, initial, aboriginal, germinal, alpha, newborn, new, original, precursory, inaugural, preliminary, embryonic, sprouting, primordial, budding, emerging, infant, starting, baby
punishment device (part of speech: noun)
rod, solitary confinement, ax, stake, rack, truncheon, iron, gibbet, bull whip, lash, rope, jail, pillory, prison, thumbscrew, switch, noose, electric chair, whipping post, whip, guillotine, birch rod, torture chamber, block, captivity, cane, thong, rawhide, strap, gas chamber, gallows, scaffold, cowhide, stocks
celibate (part of speech: noun)
intact, solitary, virginal, unplowed, monk, chaste, asexual, pure, virgin, abstemious, hermit, monastic, single, lone, alone, spinsterish, bachelor, unwed, old maid, celibate, monkish, spinster, ascetic, abstinent, unmarried
- " Thank you, thank you," exclaimed Maiden May. - "Won from the Waves", W.H.G. Kingston.
- " Joe married to that beautiful Indian maiden! - "The Spirit of the Border A Romance of the Early Settlers in the Ohio Valley", Zane Grey.
- God and the maiden! - "The Maid of Orleans A Tragedy", Frederich Schiller.