Definition of manipulate:
- To control the action of, by management; as, to manipulate a convention of delegates; to manipulate the stock market; also, to manage artfully or fraudulently; as, to manipulate accounts, or election returns.
- To treat, work, or operate with the hands, especially when knowledge and dexterity are required; to manage in hand work; to handle; as, to manipulate scientific apparatus.
- To use the hands in dexterous operations; to do hand work; specifically, to manage the apparatus or instruments used in scientific work, or in artistic or mechanical processes; also, specifically, to use the hand in mesmeric operations.
hedge, evade, alter, assure, counterfeit, bull, exploit, handle, cook, fix, ensure, bullshit, pull wires, belie, wield, verify, work, talk through one's hat, master, knead, fudge, insure, interpolate, see to it, hold in, operate, used, rig, manage, elude, contain, skirt, check, see, keep in line, set up, command, make, ready, parry, maneuver, duck, warp, ascertain, falsify, curb, fake, misrepresent, finagle, garble, set, prepare, pull strings, put off, play, distort, sidestep, dodge, straight, wangle, control, forge, hold, circumvent, moderate.
Modern industry, they all held, creates necessarily a division of society into a relatively few capitalists, on the one hand, who own, control, and manipulate the machinery of production and the natural resources of the country, and on the other hand, a great mass of landless, toolless, and homeless working people dependent upon the sale of their labor for a livelihood.- "Contemporary American History, 1877-1913", Charles A. Beard.
- "Peggy-Alone", Mary Agnes Byrne.
- "Father Payne", Arthur Christopher Benson.