Definition of marbling :
1. An intermixture of fat and lean in meat, giving it a marbled appearance.
2. Distinct markings resembling the variegations of marble, as on birds and insects.
3. of Marble
4. The art or practice of variegating in color, in imitation of marble.
variegating (part of speech: verb)
- This village, too, be it understood, is three- quarters in ruins; there remain fragments of walls in grotesque shapes, letting in the daylight and displaying a black marbling of soot where the chimneys used to be. - "War", Pierre Loti.
- This method has the advantage that it is quicker, that the top and bottom corners of the round fore- edge cannot break, and that it is easy to treat every side during the process of marbling. - "Practical Bookbinding", Paul Adam.
- The finest way of finishing edges and the one allowing greatest variety of treatment is known as marbling; this is a special process. - "Practical Bookbinding", Paul Adam.