Definition of mark :
1. A character ( usually a cross) made as a substitute for a signature by one who can not write.
2. A character or device put on an article of merchandise by the maker to show by whom it was made; a trade- mark.
3. A characteristic or essential attribute; a differential.
4. A fixed object serving for guidance, as of a ship, a traveler, a surveyor, etc.; as, a seamark, a landmark.
5. A license of reprisals. See Marque.
6. A number or other character used in registring; as, examination marks; a mark for tardiness.
7. A trace, dot, line, imprint, or discoloration, although not regarded as a token or sign; a scratch, scar, stain, etc.; as, this pencil makes a fine mark.
8. A visible sign or impression made or left upon anything; esp., a line, point, stamp, figure, or the like, drawn or impressed, so as to attract the attention and convey some information or intimation; a token; a trace.
9. An evidence of presence, agency, or influence; a significative token; a symptom; a trace; specifically, a permanent impression of one's activity or character.
10. An old weight and coin. See Marc.
11. Attention, regard, or respect.
12. Badge or sign of honor, rank, or official station.
13. Image; likeness; hence, those formed in one's image; children; descendants.
14. Limit or standard of action or fact; as, to be within the mark; to come up to the mark.
15. One of the bits of leather or colored bunting which are placed upon a sounding line at intervals of from two to five fathoms. The unmarked fathoms are called deeps.
16. Preeminence; high position; as, particians of mark; a fellow of no mark.
17. That toward which a missile is directed; a thing aimed at; what one seeks to hit or reach.
18. The unit of monetary account of the German Empire, equal to 23. 8 cents of United States money; the equivalent of one hundred pfennigs. Also, a silver coin of this value.
19. To be a mark upon; to designate; to indicate; - used literally and figuratively; as, this monument marks the spot where Wolfe died; his courage and energy marked him for a leader.
20. To keep account of; to enumerate and register; as, to mark the points in a game of billiards or cards.
21. To leave a trace, scratch, scar, or other mark, upon, or any evidence of action; as, a pencil marks paper; his hobnails marked the floor.
22. To notice or observe; to give attention to; to take note of; to remark; to heed; to regard.
23. To put a mark upon; to affix a significant mark to; to make recognizable by a mark; as, to mark a box or bale of merchandise; to mark clothing.
24. To take particular notice; to observe critically; to note; to remark.
level, retick, seek, smear, accentuate, cicatrix, illustriousness, shekels, pick out, localise, evaluate, delay, loot, the second Gospel, determine, knowledge, inscribe, ground level, check off, money, ringer, bull, check up on, depreciate, countersink, fair game, mug, indentation, increase, determination, target, excoriation, scratch line, go down, form, endeavor, toller, filth, jester, motley fool, signaling, typeset, trace, symptom, correspond, oppose, colophon, rack up, sucker, mark off, hold in, meaning, reduce, test, marque, arrange, make, purpose, coiffe, home run, luster, identify, betray, chronicle, dent, aim, signalize, grunge, register, seagull, specialise, fix, soft touch, kale, phiz, set up, sexual conquest, mention, chicken feed, tendency, lolly, impression, earmark, discover, hit, marking, hold back, jibe, gradation, fructify, sword, saint, disciple, scrawl, musical score, denounce, remark, grad, manifestation, fool, visage, intent, tick off, accent, break, look into, scratching, stigmatize, quarry, beat, savor, arrest, scotch, ready, hybrid, find out, tell, shit, order, match, smiler, shlemiel, scribble, nock, grading, tail, fall guy, make out, immortalise, price, snitch, kisser, gibe, account, bell ringer, interbreeding, object, immortalize, go over, grime, plant, remember, crisscross, retard, control, strike off, moderate, prick, devaluate, retire, rate, prey, imprint, evidence, key out, chase after, mugful, wampum, downgrade, aspiration, soil, token, describe, assure, signalise, dupe, insure, target area, homer, indicator, preeminence, preindication, St Mark, play off, record, dress, indent, condition, trail, signboard, design, monkey, crossbreeding, separate, stop, ticktock, memorialize, gudgeon, adjust, discern, find, hybridizing, usual, fit, start, devalue, patsy, coif, boodle, ambition, schlemiel, star sign, notice, signification, contain, lay out, yardstick, localize, rat, view, discolouration, ensure, smirch, cognizance, watch, grudge, objective, regard, grease, limit, dirt, strike out, severalize, crown of thorns, intention, polarity, head, take down, track, house, moolah, distinction, memorialise, inclination, judge, steel, coiffure, tell apart, why, put, tick, bull's eye, commemorate, agree, renown, mark out, physiognomy, checker, go under, starting line, bread, ticktack, heed, scoring, sugar, pigeon, lollipop, consider, qualify, cacography, MARKS, gospel according to mark, key, espial, Deutschmark, give away, rig, hybridisation, seduce, click, recognize, cross off, class, secernate, crossing, notability, glory, curb, pose, lay, sic, brand name, indication, chase, hybridization, gull, see to it, cheapen, cicatrice, suss out, post, pit, secern, blade, print, saphead, observance, crossbreed, show, chump, hold, underline, muggins, scraping, gauge, benchmark, brandmark, apostle, Saint Mark, discipline, prominence, respect, take note, pushover, eminency, pronounce, dog, mansion, emphasise, stroke, dinero, impress, end, go after, chequer, cross, emphasize, stigmatise, check over, grass, tomfool, name, comment, give chase, incision, butt, list, photographic print, marker, sign, augury, dough, cabbage, all-day sucker, trademark, eminence, severalise, see, pock, deutsche mark, touchstone, prestige, speciate, train, write down, firebrand, gear up, foretoken, lucre, specify, emboss, pelf, do, witness, correct, shop, gelt, lower, detect, standard, cross out, ascertain, be, check into, congeal, simoleons, countenance, tier, fame, jell, sea gull, attention, prepare, important, trade name, check out, character, turn back, learn, sign of the zodiac, criterion, observation, depress, sap, lamb, prominency, course, clams, grievance, badge, index, tally, punctuate, tell on, lettuce, measure, observe, blaze, streak, victim, goal, characterize, stag, wise, stone, recognise, stress, planetary house, planned
rank (part of speech: noun)
blemish (part of speech: verb)
eyesore, defacement, fleck, scrape, rift, chip, deform, pockmark, nick, weal, slit, spot, speck, distortion, brand, discoloration, discolor, freckle, scab, spoilage, hurt, impurity, wart, stigma, splotch, disfigure, crack, distort, deface, notch, damage, deformity, taint, hack, scar, dot, sore, flaw, hole, scratch, imperfection, mar, blister, drawback, check, defect, abrasion, fracture, lesion, spoil, blemish, stain, abrade, disfigurement, gash, tarnish, blot, scuff, fault, score, blotch, kink
specialize (part of speech: verb)
specialty (part of speech: noun)
flavor, specialization, definiteness, idiosyncrasy, hallmark, quality, figure, difference, property, cachet, particularity, individuality, mannerism, characteristic, way, specialty, peculiarity, trait, keynote, feature, discriminant, quirk, forte
attribution (part of speech: noun)
indicate (part of speech: verb)
guide, prompt, note, alert, gesticulate, nudge, denote, motion, gesture, notify, signal, label, symbolize, shrug, betoken, point, indicate, point out, beckon, wave, ticket, stamp, wink, nod, designate, cue, flag, tag
attribute (part of speech: verb)
- " But mark me, my dear lord, do not be too sure of her. - "Paul Clifford, Volume 3.", Edward Bulwer-Lytton.
- It began- 'Mrs. Mavor is greatly touched by this mark of your love, and she will wear your ring always with pride. - "Black Rock", Ralph Connor.
- Mark made no reply. - "Clotelle The Colored Heroine", William Wells Brown.