Definition of martial :
1. Belonging to war, or to an army and navy; - opposed to civil; as, martial law; a court- martial.
2. Of, pertaining to, or suited for, war; military; as, martial music; a martial appearance.
3. Pertaining to, or containing, iron; chalybeate; as, martial preparations.
4. Pertaining to, or resembling, the god, or the planet, Mars.
5. Practiced in, or inclined to, war; warlike; brave.
warriorlike, embattled, in the field, service, study at military, peace, paramilitary, soldierlike, militant, front-line, militaristic, soldierly, combative, hawkish, warlike, tactical, militarized, bellicose, belligerent, military
- For my own part, I believe that Colonel Tassara's court martial can have but one result. - "Ahead of the Army", W. O. Stoddard.
- Thirty fellows, dressed up in a martial style, in three rows of ten each, stood with glittering drawn swords. - "Botchan (Master Darling)", Mr. Kin-nosuke Natsume, trans. by Yasotaro Morri.
- Butler, writing of the Mikirs 1854, says, " Unlike any other hill tribes of whom we have any knowledge, the Mikirs seem devoid of anything approaching to a martial spirit. - "The Khasis", P. R. T. Gurdon.