Definition of martyr:
- Hence, one who sacrifices his life, his station, or what is of great value to him, for the sake of principle, or to sustain a cause.
- One who, by his death, bears witness to the truth of the gospel; one who is put to death for his religion; as, Stephen was the first Christian martyr.
- To persecute; to torment; to torture.
- To put to death for adhering to some belief, esp. Christianity; to sacrifice on account of faith or profession.
- "History of the United Netherlands, 1594", John Lothrop Motley.
- "Cousin Betty", Honore de Balzac.
- "Secret Memoirs: The Story of Louise, Crown Princess", Henry W. Fischer.