Definition of masculine:
- Belonging to males; appropriated to, or used by, males.
- Having the inflections of, or construed with, words pertaining especially to male beings, as distinguished from feminine and neuter. See Gender.
- Having the qualities of a man; suitable to, or characteristic of, a man; virile; not feminine or effeminate; strong; robust.
- Of the male sex; not female.
collocate, forceful, macho, compound, deictic, conditional, stressed, gender, allophone, declarative, antecedent, camp, man-size, red-blooded, manly, clause, cleft sentence, virile, machismo, manlike, effete, male, mannish, butch, allomorph, brawny, manful, powerful, strong, grammatical, feminine, complex, case, adjunct, two-fisted, effeminate, accusative, vigorous, frequentative, muscular, unmanly, inflected, article.
" In order to release him," the pamphlet said- throughout the writer had taken it for granted that the " subject" would be masculine-" blow a sharp, cold wind from your mouth on his eyes, and say with authority, 'Now you can open them.- "Amusement Only", Richard Marsh.
- "The Captives", Hugh Walpole.
- "The Matador of the Five Towns and Other Stories", Arnold Bennett.