Definition of mate:
- A suitable companion; a match; an equal.
- An officer in a merchant vessel ranking next below the captain. If there are more than one bearing the title, they are called, respectively, first mate, second mate, third mate, etc. In the navy, a subordinate officer or assistant; as, master's mate; surgeon's mate.
- Hence, specifically, a husband or wife; and among the lower animals, one of a pair associated for propagation and the care of their young.
- One who customarily associates with another; a companion; an associate; any object which is associated or combined with a similar object.
- Same as Checkmate.
- See 2d Mat.
- The Paraguay tea, being the dried leaf of the Brazilian holly ( Ilex Paraguensis). The infusion has a pleasant odor, with an agreeable bitter taste, and is much used for tea in South America.
- To be or become a mate or mates, especially in sexual companionship; as, some birds mate for life; this bird will not mate with that one.
- To checkmate.
- To confuse; to confound.
- To match one's self against; to oppose as equal; to compete with.
- To match; to marry.
section, fertile, meet, breed, jibe, coadjutor, couple up, breeder, confidante, feller, rival, deputy, cowboy, commodore, equal, correspond, associate, missus, aid, subdivision, match, cuss, friction match, PO, equalize, helpmate, lucifer, young man, firm friends, missis, chap, girlfriend, love, parallel, man, groom, fleet admiral, partner off, first mate, apprentice, pair off, capture, checkmate, breadwinner, equate, midshipman, compatriot, helpmeet, breeding, equalise, beau, same, confrere, partner, segment, officer, teammate, compadre, fecund, bro, asexual reproduction, better half, touch, admiral, married person, fella, hobnobber, bloke, swain, aide, babe, counterpart, tally, castle, accomplice, lieutenant, pair, cohort, lady, auxiliary, my man, commuter, peer, boyfriend, copulate, commander, adjunct, duty officer, estrus, consort, sugar, bishop, portion, substructure, bride, pit, part, spouse, compeer, chess, hubby, courtship, wife, chessman, cooperator, couple, agree, geminate, sidekick, duplicate, career woman, assistant, bit, marriage, alter ego, gambit, near, gibe, running mate, unit, life partner, ensign, honey, musketeer, bud, desk person, ancillary, grand master, fit, dude, husband, twin, skipper, detail, check, chessman, apparatchik, complement, buster, breeding ground, mates, cope with, baby, Paraguay tea, petty officer, Ilex Paraguariensis, chessboard, significant other, designated hitter, adjutant, blighter, oppose, confederate, piece, pardner, play off, gent, double, half, lad, couple on, collaborator, catch.
- copulate (part of speech: verb)
- sailor (part of speech: noun)
- friend (part of speech: noun)