Definition of materialist :
1. One who denies the existence of spiritual substances or agents, and maintains that spiritual phenomena, so called, are the result of some peculiar organization of matter.
2. One who holds to the existence of matter, as distinguished from the idealist, who denies it.
- The most hardened materialist," says he, " believes in what he calls sometimes 'luck' and sometimes 'fortune. - "Aylwin", Theodore Watts-Dunton.
- One must be a gross materialist to doubt that there are latent powers in man which man, in modern times, neglects or knows not how to develop. - "The Devil Doctor", Sax Rohmer.
- Traitor as he was he was unable to foresee punishment- materialist to the heart's core, he had no knowledge of the divine law of compensation. - "Vendetta A Story of One Forgotten", Marie Corelli.