Definition of matter :
1. Affair worthy of account; thing of consequence; importance; significance; moment; - chiefly in the phrases what matter ? no matter, and the like.
2. Amount; quantity; portion; space; - often indefinite.
3. Inducing cause or occasion, especially of anything disagreeable or distressing; difficulty; trouble.
4. Substance excreted from living animal bodies; that which is thrown out or discharged in a tumor, boil, or abscess; pus; purulent substance.
5. That of which anything is composed; constituent substance; material; the material or substantial part of anything; the constituent elements of conception; that into which a notion may be analyzed; the essence; the pith; the embodiment.
6. That of which the sensible universe and all existent bodies are composed; anything which has extension, occupies space, or is perceptible by the senses; body; substance.
7. That which is permanent, or is supposed to be given, and in or upon which changes are effected by psychological or physical processes and relations; - opposed to form.
8. That which one has to treat, or with which one has to do; concern; affair; business.
9. That with regard to, or about which, anything takes place or is done; the thing aimed at, treated of, or treated; subject of action, discussion, consideration, feeling, complaint, legal action, or the like; theme.
10. To be of importance; to import; to signify.
11. To form pus or matter, as an abscess; to maturate.
12. To regard as important; to take account of; to care for.
13. Written manuscript, or anything to be set in type; copy; also, type set up and ready to be used, or which has been used, in printing.
issuance, national, affaire, effect, depend, division, affair, egress, consider, undertaking, involvement, subject field, content, guinea pig, calculate, number, case, occasion, yield, social occasion, proceeds, interest, government issue, librate, return, emergence, upshot, take, business, depicted object, sore, discharge, signify, resolution, really, study, function, concern, exit, subject area, outcome, meaning, in actuality, important, press, discipline, focus, liaison, bet, takings, motion, military issue, offspring, head, outlet, issuing, progeny, infection, numerate, subject matter, amour, look, event, count, materiality, reckon, import, result, publication, bailiwick, way out, weigh, field of study, truly, intimacy, enumerate, circumstance, social function, proposition, field, payoff, consequence
difficulty (part of speech: noun)
component (part of speech: noun)
material (part of speech: noun)
substance (part of speech: noun)
topic (part of speech: noun)
inference, assertion, opinion, contention, dissertation, text, problem, premise, theme, argument, topic, axiom, consideration, subject, belief, theorem, concept, paradigm, question, assumption, point, basis, principle, essay, thesis, idea, issue, exposition, statement, hypothesis, presumption, conjecture, position, query, postulation, motif