Definition of mattress :
1. A mass of interwoven brush, poles, etc., to protect a bank from being worn away by currents or waves.
2. A quilted bed; a bed stuffed with hair, moss, or other suitable material, and quilted or otherwise fastened.
- As the call sounded from post to post, Nancy threw herself face down on the hard mattress. - "The Lost Despatch", Natalie Sumner Lincoln.
- After the first few months he had better lie alone, on a horse- hair mattress. - "Advice to a Mother on the Management of her Children", Pye Henry Chavasse.
- The mattress I had was excellent, and I slept well; but the accommodations were rather rude, there being no chairs or pegs to hang the clothes upon. - "History of American Socialisms", John Humphrey Noyes.