Definition of meaning :
1. of Mean
2. Sense; power of thinking.
3. That which is meant or intended; intent; purpose; aim; object; as, a mischievous meaning was apparent.
4. That which is signified, whether by act lanquage; signification; sence; import; as, the meaning of a hint.
moment, planned, heart and soul, nub, express, core, significant, importee, substance, sum, eloquent, nitty-gritty, center, why, tendency, inwardness, end, heart, essence, sense, importation, intention, content, ambition, target, burden, meat, idea, import, design, objective, subject matter, consequence, signification, significancy, view, kernel, value, goal, show, marrow, meaningful, means, centre, mark, acceptation, expressive
intending (part of speech: verb)
sense (part of speech: verb)
meaning (part of speech: verb)
intent, significance, explanation, explaining, implication, point, definition, tenor, drift, signifying, connotation, pith, denotation, description, implying, connoting, interpretation, indicating, relevance, topic, message, upshot, purpose, crux, indication, gist, defining, denoting, thrust, subject, describing
- She did not take in his meaning. - "The Trespasser", D.H. Lawrence.
- " Yes, yes," said Fouquet, who began to understand Aramis's meaning. - "Louise de la Valliere", Alexandre Dumas, Pere.
- He was a man who had seen the world and become, in more than one meaning of the word, a gentleman. - "Richard Carvel, Complete", Winston Churchill Last Updated: March 5, 2009.