Definition of mechanism:
- An ideal machine; a combination of movable bodies constituting a machine, but considered only with regard to relative movements.
- Mechanical operation or action.
- The arrangement or relation of the parts of a machine; the parts of a machine, taken collectively; the arrangement or relation of the parts of anything as adapted to produce an effect; as, the mechanism of a watch; the mechanism of a sewing machine; the mechanism of a seed pod.
weapon, apparatus, mechanics, instrumentation, instrumentality, agent, instrument, agency, intermediary, implement, appliance, chemical mechanism, means, utensil, medium, mechanical action, mean, organ, machine, tool, device, system of parts.
- "Dave Dashaway and his Hydroplane", Roy Rockwood.
- "Queen Sheba's Ring", H. Rider Haggard.
- "The Birth-Time of the World and Other Scientific Essays", J. (John) Joly.