Definition of mechanism :
1. An ideal machine; a combination of movable bodies constituting a machine, but considered only with regard to relative movements.
2. Mechanical operation or action.
3. The arrangement or relation of the parts of a machine; the parts of a machine, taken collectively; the arrangement or relation of the parts of anything as adapted to produce an effect; as, the mechanism of a watch; the mechanism of a sewing machine; the mechanism of a seed pod.
weapon, apparatus, mechanics, instrumentation, instrumentality, agent, instrument, agency, intermediary, implement, appliance, chemical mechanism, means, utensil, medium, mechanical action, mean, organ, machine, tool, device, system of parts
method (part of speech: noun)
- Dave took in every detail of the mechanism before his eyes. - "Dave Dashaway and his Hydroplane", Roy Rockwood.
- Orme pulled the trigger, but his rifle would not go off because, as he discovered afterwards, some sand had worked into the mechanism of the lock. - "Queen Sheba's Ring", H. Rider Haggard.
- The mechanism by which this change is effected is in part known. - "The Birth-Time of the World and Other Scientific Essays", J. (John) Joly.