Definition of melt:
- Hence: To be softened; to become tender, mild, or gentle; also, to be weakened or subdued, as by fear.
- Hence: To soften, as by a warming or kindly influence; to relax; to render gentle or susceptible to mild influences; sometimes, in a bad sense, to take away the firmness of; to weaken.
- See 2d Milt.
- To be changed from a solid to a liquid state under the influence of heat; as, butter and wax melt at moderate temperatures.
- To disappear by being dispersed or dissipated; as, the fog melts away.
- To dissolve; as, sugar melts in the mouth.
- To lose distinct form or outline; to blend.
- To reduce from a solid to a liquid state, as by heat; to liquefy; as, to melt wax, tallow, or lead; to melt ice or snow.
go away, unfreeze, unravel, free, fade out, hunt, harden, solid, mellow, escape, incline, conflate, ply, warming, be given, function, draw, release, pass away, race, coalesce, decrease, combine, lean, ladder, unblock, take to the woods, carry, hunt down, dethaw, play, operate, run for, die hard, disband, head for the hills, consort, thawing, unthaw, render, increase, thaw, hightail it, track down, blow over, lead, merge, flow, campaign, persist, resolve, melt down, see, fade away, turn tail, fleet, meld, guide, run, fuse, course, languish, pass off, scat, soften, fly the coop, dismiss, feed, mellow out, pass, freeze, flux, prevail, mix, yield, forgive, move, break away, black market, bleed, fade, commingle, blend, bunk, range, run away, immix, lam, scarper, vaporise, break up, wither, deliquesce, vaporize, melting, work, disintegrate, extend, tend, execute, endure.
- "The Later Cave-Men", Katharine Elizabeth Dopp.
- "Twenty-Four Short Sermons On The Doctrine Of Universal Salvation", John Bovee Dods.
- "The Bark Covered House or, Back in the Woods Again", William Nowlin.