Definition of member :
1. A part of a discourse or of a period or sentence; a clause; a part of a verse.
2. A part of an animal capable of performing a distinct office; an organ; a limb.
3. Any essential part, as a post, tie rod, strut, etc., of a framed structure, as a bridge truss.
4. Any part of a building, whether constructional, as a pier, column, lintel, or the like, or decorative, as a molding, or group of moldings.
5. Either of the two parts of an algebraic equation, connected by the sign of equality.
6. Hence, a part of a whole; an independent constituent of a body
7. One of the persons composing a society, community, or the like; an individual forming part of an association; as, a member of the society of Friends.
8. To remember; to cause to remember; to mention.
comrade, sister, type, kind, congresswoman, beaver, alumnus, clubfoot, appendage, crotch, atom, cervix, associate, confederate, process, gentlewoman, taxonomy, penis, extremity, boner, free marketeer, gentleman, cervical, classification, congressperson, armpit, arriviste, cross section, cock, core, arm, leg, limb, dove, big toe, sort, clitoris, arch, carpetbagger, fellow member, cojones, ankle, class, affiliate, congressman, charter member, genus Phallus, brother, chapter, calf, instalment, balls, outgrowth, organ, building block, variety, bits, category, baby, particle, post, commissioner, Phallus, branch, grouping, bollocks, elder statesman, Eurocrat, academician, ball
component (part of speech: noun)
constituent, section, fragment, factor, material, sectional, elemental, feature, segmentary, factoring, filament, fractional, article, featured, item, matter, medium, fragmentary, ingredient, element, component
portion (part of speech: noun)
helping, partition, parcel, proportion, fraction, commission, piece, cut, compartment, slice, interest, half, budget, quantum, split, stake, lot, portion, allotment, measure, allowance, ration, quota, sector, segment, part, share, dividend, subdivision, stock, chunk, division, percentage, zone, bit
- She's been a member for years, but she's such a clever creeter she wants to obleege everybody. - "Samantha at the St. Louis Exposition", Marietta Holley.
- The fact that a crime has been committed within the county may be brought to the notice of the grand jury by any member thereof or by any other person. - "Studies in Civics", James T. McCleary.
- He's a member of the Government. - "Dawn of All", Robert Hugh Benson.