Definition of mercenary :
1. Acting for reward; serving for pay; paid; hired; hireling; venal; as, mercenary soldiers.
2. Hence: Moved by considerations of pay or profit; greedy of gain; sordid; selfish.
3. One who is hired; a hireling; especially, a soldier hired into foreign service.
helper, confederate, worldly, covetous, moneymaking, inward-looking, airman, auxiliary, coadjutor, commando, bombardier, free-lance, ally, self-centered, self-seeking, grenadier, accessory, worldly-minded, stingy, promoter, grabby, paid, conservative, mercantile, freelance, commercial, self-absorbed, airwoman, corrupt, GI, cynical, self, subordinate, Green Beret, crooked, crew, assistant, ungenerous, foot soldier, cannon fodder, aid, bourgeois, materialistic, soldier of fortune, avid, praetorian, moneygrubbing, coveting
avaricious (part of speech: adjective)
combatant (part of speech: noun)
brawler, foe, fighter, jouster, duelist, rival, competitor, man-at-arms, gladiator, pugilist, struggler, combatant, tough, rioter, adversary, opponent, bruiser, warrior, quarreler, bully, battler, antagonist, soldier, swordsman, militant, thug, contestant, assailant, enemy
- " And she is probably a mercenary creature, after all. - "A Fool and His Money", George Barr McCutcheon.
- I am known as a mercenary woman, and until we marry and give up the money, everybody will think scornfully of me. - "Red Money", Fergus Hume.
- I've always most admired in you the fact that you weren't mercenary. - "The Grain Of Dust A Novel", David Graham Phillips.